Rich in history, the 1,864-acre Sky Meadows State Park has scenic views, woodlands and the rolling pastures of a historic farm that captures the colonial through post-Civil War life of Mount Bleak House. The park features some of the most scenic trails of all the Virginia state parks, including 9.5 miles of equestrian trails, 19 miles of hiking trails, 8 miles of bike trails and Appalachian Trail access. We'll try to hit most of the highlights, aiming for a total distance of 8-10 miles.
• HIKING DISTANCE: 8-10 miles
• HIKING PACE: Moderate (about 2 miles per hour)
• ELEVATION GAIN: Around 1,400 feet
• TRAIL TERRAIN: Dirt, grassy, crushed gravel
• DIFFICULTY: Moderate
• MEALS: Pack a lunch to eat on the trail. Optional dinner on the way home if there is interest.
• WHAT TO BRING: Layered clothing, broken-in hiking shoes, hiking poles (optional), water, sunscreen, rain gear. (Full list of recommended gear)
• ORGANIZER WILL PROVIDE: Trail maps, driving directions, basic first aid kit
• DOGS ALLOWED: Yes (Dog policy)
• CARPOOLING: Meet at the Martin's in Ashland at 8:00am. Park on the side facing Route 1. (Details on carpooling)
• CARPOOL EXPENSE: $13 per person, assuming a full carload
• CONTACT #: I will email my cell number to the attendees at least one day in advance.
• CANCELLATION: If weather becomes an issue, call or check your email for updates before leaving. (Cancellation policy)
• RSVP INSTRUCTIONS: There is no fee, but you must RSVP in order to attend, and you must update your RSVP if your plans change later. Group size may be limited due to concerns about parking, safety, trail impact, and everyone's enjoyment of the experience. When spaces become available, wait listers will be moved up automatically in the order in which they signed up. RSVPs usually close the day before the event. If spaces become available after this time and you would like to attend, contact the event organizer. Organizers take attendance at most events, and repeat no-shows will be removed from the group. Please do not "crash" events. (Attendance policy)
• CVT REWARDS POINTS: +10 (Details on CVT Rewards)
I'm Kim, I love nature and being outdoors. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the trail!
Love the outdoors!
I love the outdoors and hiking, new adventure, and meeting new people!
I enjoy getting out, love to hike and camp.
I am interested in finding active people to share adventures with
Avid hiker, kayaker & camper. Love this group !
I much prefer being active outside over going to a gym.
I love to get out and walk the parks almost any opportunity I get.
I look forward to hiking with new friends.
Love hiking and backpacking.
I enjoy hiking and being in the woods where it's often very quiet and beautiful.
I love to hike and enjoy the great outdoors. Oh and meet new people too:)
Hello, my name is Marybeth
Hi. My name is Ann. I like hiking with my dog, Nova.
An outdoors enthusiast would love to go hiking, camping and backpacking with others.
I enjoy hiking, exploring new places and taking lots of pictures along the way.
Originally from Roanoke Valley; in Richmond since 1996. Our family loves hiking and biking.
Looking forward to meeting people that share the love of the outdoors.
Hi, I'm Cindy. I'm looking forward to meeting new people to hike with.