addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Dallas PHP Message Board › We Need Topics!

We Need Topics!

Chris C.
enygmadae
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Planning our monthly meetings is harder than you'd think - when we finally sit down and think about it, a lot of times we're at a loss for topics we think the group might want to hear about. Sure, we ask for suggestions in the meetings and try to coax ideas out of you, our members, but we'd much rather present to you about things that *you* want to hear about.

There's tons of great technologies out there to work with that in some way touch PHP (or really the web in general) and I *know* there's lots of folks out there that want to hear less about the same ole thing and more about these new advancements.

So, I'm going to post this out there and see what kind of responses I get. This is your chance to let us know what *you* want to hear about and are interested in so that we can do our best to try to bring those topics to you. Feel free to be as detailed or as vague as you want to be - all topics are welcome, even if they're not specifically PHP-related (well, stick to the general area - heh).

I look forward to seeing all the great ideas - these will go a long way to helping the group be a useful, helpful thing that we can all attend and enjoy. You can go and reply to this on the message boards over on Meetup.com.
Vic C.
vcherubini
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
I'd love to give a talk/have an open discussion about proper ways to do unit testing, how to do TDD properly, and how to build your classes so they can be tested properly.

Perhaps the best way to work would be backwards. Start with some horrible outdated code and refactor it through the course of the evening into solid, clean, workable, tested code.

For example, I could talk about dependency injection, writing mock objects, avoid using globals, avoid using the super globals directly, and how to reduce your depended on components to as few as possible.

What does everyone else think?
A former member
I would love to see a practical example/workshop on unit testing.
Vic C.
vcherubini
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
I'd love to make it an open discussion. Hell, people could bring their bad code and as a group we could refactor it using tests.
Chris C.
enygmadae
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 7
Here's some of the other ideas that have been sent over to me via email too:

Being a consultant with Apple, I would suggest a new technology which is coming up. SPROUTCORE Mobile me and iworks is developed in this environment and most of the iphone/ipad web interfaces will be developed in this framework. http://www.sproutcore...­

-------------

How about a "getting started" session for "1st time newbie's" - maybe Linux one meeting and Windows the next? Start with install thru 1st simple program. Could even be turned into multiple meetings? Get the word out - build the base.

-------------

something in regards to phps / mysqls' role in the "cloud" - I know that is a nifty marketing term but maybe what is out there and how it relates to php.

-------------

perhaps the group could alternate meetings with more basic/more complex content? Also, I think I would find it useful to have a few sequential meetings on the same topic, but explore different applications of the topic. An example might be a topic on OOP

-------------

How about using the right tool for the job. Like integrating PHP with external apps like, say, a Python-based recommendation engine or a Node.js service. Message buses would be cool too.

-------------

I have not yet been to a meeting, but I play with PHP and am a real novice. However, I have certain things I’d like to accomplish like a DB-driven, Google maps website for listing events. Perhaps a Google maps API based topic would work? It’s not strictly PHP, but I doubt I’m the only one interested in this.
Jeremy B.
user 10800748
Dallas, TX
I would be interested in a presentation on building a REST API, with authentication. This is a topic I am currently researching myself and would be interested in what others have done, recommend, etc
Daniel C.
dcousineau
Astoria, NY
Post #: 2
"JavaScript for people who keep asking me JavaScript questions"

Beyond the above cheekiness, mocking and testing are always good topics (beyond "omg look this is a unit test").
Chris C.
enygmadae
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 8
More great topics from the front lines:

---------------------------

"sockets"
I have just started playing around with sockets as I have found out my cron job is starting to run out of control as far as cycles/mem usage, and the user could possibly sit there for 59 seconds while the cron waits to fire again. I have been mostly trial and error as the documentation is limited, and would love to see some good examples of when to use unix sockets over tcp/udp and any other tidbits about sockets.

1 php5 + postgresql
2 phing + Yaphpo + makeself
3 memcached
4 apache performance tuning
5 beer

Topic wise, I wished there was a discussion on what new things might be possible in Joomla 1.6 and Drupal 7. I would be interested to hear what some hardcore OOP guys had to say about what type of web applications they could build with the new changes, or if there are any new possibilities at all. And beer.