addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Scala DC - MD - NOVA Message Board Scala DC/MD/NOVA Discussion Forum › New JVM language Xtend, F#

New JVM language Xtend, F#

A former member
Post #: 1
FYI:

There's a new JVM language called Xtend from Eclipse that "compiles to readable Java code" but incorporates many of the improvements to Java syntax that Scala has.

Also, I'm going with F# instead of Scala.

I'm a .Net programmer and I looked at Scala because it was supposed to be a .Net language.
Well, it is, but there's no Visual Studio plugin for it. The plugin was originally due for fall of 2011.
I think it might never get done or if it does get done it won't be a 100% implementation.

F# is more of a pure functional language. Scala is beefed up Java with functional capabilities.

I also found Scala syntax a little difficult. F# syntax is a lot clunkier but simple.

F# isn't nearly as extensible as Scala but I don't need that much power for my stuff.

Good luck guys.