I would love to create a group of passionate travelers willing to travel locally and eventually beyond. Mainly focusing on Weekend day trips within a couple of hours of Berlin via RE. Some places include Sächsishes Schweiz, Havelland ...
Let's use the last day of daylight saving time to hike along the Elbe river and through the Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm.
The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, (German: Dessau-Wörlitzer Gartenreich) is a World Heritage Site in Germany, that lies between city of Dessau and the town of Wörlitz. It is one of the first and largest English parks in Germany and continental Europe, created in the late 18th century. Strongly influenced by the ideals of The Enlightenment, the architects aimed to move on from the formal garden concept of the Baroque era in favour of a naturalistic landscape as they had seen at Stourhead Gardens and Ermenonville.
We'll meet on Saturday at 8:00 at Berlin Hauptbahnhof on Platform 3. From there, we take the RE3 train to Lutherstadt Wittenberg, which leaves at 8:32. After a change in Wittenberg, we'll arrive in Coswig at 10:28.
From there, we'll hike towards Wörlitz. We will take the ferry to cross the Elbe river. From Wörlitz, we will hike westward through the Elbe floodplains, passing Vockerode and the Sieglitzer Berg park.
We will arrive in Dessau after about 24 km.
Trains back to Berlin leave at 18:09, 19:05 and 20:09 and take about 2 hours.
Important things to note:
- This is a relatively easy hike with quite a long distance. Thus, you should be sure that you are able to walk this distance.
- You are all responsible for yourself. None of us is mountain guide or something like that.
- There won't be too many Späties around, so have enough water and food with you.
- For traveling to Coswig, we'll use Quer Durchs Land Tickets. These are group tickets which we will buy directly at the railway station. The cost for each participant depends on the exact group size. You can expect a price between 15 and 20 Euros. For the ferry, a separate ticket needs to be bought for 1.50 Euros.
- We buy the tickets directly at the railway station. Thus, it is very important that you arrive there in time, as we otherwise might have not enough time to buy the tickets and miss the train. Check your connection before!
- Please note that the number of participants is limited, because at a certain size a group gets virtually unmanageable. As the demand may be higher than the number of available spots, please be fair and only RSVP if you are sure that you can make it. If you learn later that you cannot take part, please update your RSVP accordingly.
(Image credits: Wörlitz, Hohe Brücke by M H.DE, CC BY 3.0)