Concerned about where the country is heading? You're not alone. Join others who care about what's happening to democracy, equality, human rights, social justice, sustainability, and other important topics. It's ok if you've never been to a protest, march, or town hall -- start here. You really can make a difference.
WHAT YOU CAN DO - Join this group now - Schedule one of our Meetup ideas in your neighborhood - Discuss your own Meetup ideas in the group conversation
OUR COMMUNITY GUIDELINES - Be Peaceful - Be Safe - Be Kind - Be Respectful - Be Real
The White House and those in Washington need to know that refugees are real people who simply seek a better life — and for centuries, refugees and immigrants have built our nation. Let’s join together in our community in opposition to the executive order. Share the stories of refugees you know and the many positive ways they contribute to our country. We want to show the president, Congress, and the public what it means when we say #ThisIsARefugee.
At this meetup, we will ask participants to share a refugee story — whether it’s their personal story, a family member’s, friend’s or neighbor’s story. Here’s how:
1. Write the stories of refugees in your community on paper as a group.
2. Take a picture of your group and the text of your letter and post to social media using the hashtag #ThisIsARefugee.
3. Send a copy of your letters with a personal note to your members of Congress urging them to oppose the President’s un-American executive order.
4. Use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to post a short video or a written description about a refugee that touched your life using the hashtag #ThisIsARefugee.
5. Get together and brainstorm other actions to help refugees in your community.
Don’t sit there! FIGHT BACK and remind the President that “we are all refugees.”