"When health is absent, wisdom cannot reveal itself, art cannot manifest, strength cannot fight, wealth becomes useless, and intelligence cannot be applied." ― Herophilus
"True human goodness, in all its purity and freedom, can come to the fore only when its recipient has no power. Mankind's true moral test (which lies deeply buried from view) consists of its attitude toward those who are at its mercy: the animals. And in this respect, mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it." — Milan Kundera
"It is more important to prevent animal suffering, rather than sit to contemplate the evils of the universe praying in the company of priests." — Buddha
“I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
"Can a world-class athlete get enough protein from a vegetarian diet to compete? I’ve found that a person does not need protein from meat to be a successful athlete. In fact, my best year of track competition was the first year I ate a vegan diet." — Carl Lewis, 10 time Track & Field Olympic Champion
This group is for thinking and active vegans, vegetarians, and those considering becoming such. We get together regularly not just to enjoy meals, but also to learn, discuss and share knowledge, in a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Topics include:
• Veg* nutrition - how to assess where you are, what's optimal, and keeping ourselves informed of the latest research. e.g. are you eating blueberries yet? Know which supergreens to get at your biomarkt?
• Animal rights and ethical impacts: we're not about being purer-than-thou, but making the best choices one can, and expanding our power of choice.
• Optimal health and athletic performance: it's good sense to be as healthy as you can be. We'll talk about how to live stronger, faster, and better - going beyond basic nutrition to performance, e.g. supplements for vegan athletes and weekend warriors, preventative practices, etc. Of course, we resoundingly say "NEIN!" to junk food, vegan or otherwise.
• The ecological impact of diets and food: arguably there's nothing more impactful for a better world than making wise daily food choices.
• Teaching and advocacy: we'll discuss how to better communicate the benefits of a veg* lifestyle and life-choice to more people. Berlin's a good place to do this!
Logistical details: we'll often meet at either a restaurant or someone's home. Thus, places will be limited, and everyone is expected to participate — so that requires an Attendance Policy. If you flake/no-show, or cancel within 24 hours before the event, it will be noted, with a warning. If you no-show twice, you'll be permanently banned from the group without discussion. So honor your word and your RSVP, and we can all avoid wasting time and energy wondering who will show up. Thanks!