addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS Message Board › New Meetup: 14er Trip to the San Juans, Part 1

New Meetup: 14er Trip to the San Juans, Part 1

This message board is read-only.

Frank
Frank_Casali_Jr.
Denver, CO
Announcing a new Meetup for THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS!

What: 14er Trip to the San Juans, Part 1

When: July 22, 2009 7:00 AM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: The dates for this trip are pretty firm. I picked late July, so as to guarantee the best weather for us and that the snow is mostly if not completely melted off these mountains. I will hold another happy hour a week before the trip to figure out carpooling and other details. Only experienced 14er hikers will be allowed in this event. Email me and we can chat about that.

We will be hiking Eolus/North Eolus, Windom and Sunlight. I am going to break the group down into 2 groups. The first group is going to take the train into these mountains. I will assign a leader to setup the group for the train. If you are interested in leading this group, please email me. That will be a big help for me. Any volunteers?

I will lead the group that will backpack into these mountains without taking the train. I am going to pick the backpackers that will be coming with me. Everyone else will take the train.

The two groups will meetup again at base camp(Chicago Basin), which is where we will start our hikes up the 14ers.

The breakdown for this trip:
- 1 day drive to the range. I am thinking drive time is going to be around 6 hours to get to the range.
- 1 day to backpack to base camp(Chicago Basin).
- 1 day to hike Eolus/North Eolus.
- 1 day to hike Sunlight and Windom.
- 1-2 day(s) to go home.

In the meantime, you have 3+ months to condition yourself. Regardless if you are taking the train or not, you have to be in excellent shape to do this trip. We will be in the most remote areas of Colorado. If you get hurt or are incapable of hiking long distances, you will be in trouble.

Research what items you might need for camping over a 4+ day period.

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­