The Westminster City Park Recreation Center has a little known rock climbing wall that has some unique features which make it worth a visit. You are invited to come check it out this Wednesday; it will be open from 5pm to 9pm. Cost of admission to the recreation center is $5 for residents / $6 for non-residents. The recreation center has free harnesses for you to borrow, but they don’t offer climbing shoes so bring your own pair or climb in tennis shoes.
The Westminster indoor rock wall was one of the first to be constructed in the State. It is unique in that it was built by hand from quarried Dakota sandstone bricks and includes two cracks and a chimney running the length of the wall.
Why climb at the Westminster recreation center?
• Inexpensive admission: $6 daily admission vs. double or triple that at most climbing gyms.
• Climb on real rock (not plastic) while still enjoying the comfort of being indoors after dark or during bad weather.
• Patient staff who are happy to show beginners the fundamentals of tying in and belaying.
• Free harness rental.
• Practice your finger, hand, and fist jams in the two cracks; few indoor rock walls offer crack climbing.
• Practice placing your trad gear while climbing in a safe, controlled environment; most other climbing gyms prohibit this.
• Relax in the hot tub, sauna, and steam room afterwards to ease those tired muscles!
The Westminster recreation center has another feature not seen at other indoor climbing gyms: a deep water solo climbing wall in the pool area. Deep water soloing is climbing unroped above a deep body of water, and it’s a blast! Come check out the climbing wall, then hit the deep water solo pool afterwards.
Hope to see you there!
By signing up for this Meetup, you expressly agree to the terms and conditions of the Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Agreement: http://www.meetup.com/denversocialclimb/pages/Assumption_of_Risk_Release_of_Liability_Agreement/