Stephen Wallace - It's all about data separation... a Hiera crash course!
As the Puppet modules you write become more complex, you inevitably end up encoding a lot of business logic into your manifests and templates. Hiera was created to help you extract data and business logic from your modules to make them more re-usable, and easier to test.
In this talk, Stephen will take you on a whirlwind tour of Hiera + Puppet and show you:
- What problems Hiera addresses
- The hiera.yaml structure, and how to traverse dynamic directories to find YAML based on facts
- How to write manifests that pull data from bindings and create "stuff" using create_resource
- The pros and cons of securing your sensitive data with hiera-gpg and hiera-eyaml
Lightning talks (5-10 minutes)
- Lindsay Holmwood - Things I wished I was told when I became a manager
- David Favelle - ITIL and Devops - Bridging the Old and the New Worlds of IT
- Darragh Bailey - Tracking Upstream with Gerrit
If you want to give a lightning talk, please let Mick & Lindsay know!