The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Upcoming DFA Meetup reminder
|A former member||
Dear DFA Meetup member,
This is just a quick reminder of the upcoming DFA meetup this coming
Wednesday, March 2nd, 7pm at Giovanni's, 9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92123.
If you haven't yet RSVP'd for the event could you please do so on the
DFA Meetup site http://dfa.meetup.com...
The agenda from DFA for this meetup is "Framing Social Security". There
is also a scheduled conference call with California Assembly Speaker
We'll have Charlie Imes talking on the evolution of San Diego for
Democracy and introducing the newly elected sub-committee heads from the
last San Diego for Democracy organizational meeting. (The goals of the
sub-committees are described at the end of this e-mail. Participating
in one of these subcommittees would be a great way to take more active
steps in helping the cause.)
Gabe Weis will be talking about supporting Phil Angelides for Governor.
Jim Wade will be talking on re-disctricting and candidate support.
John Falchi will be talking on the "Count Every Vote" campaign.
The floor will also be open for discussion of issues and people's
San Diego for Democracy Sub-committees
* Monitor efforts both locally, statewide and nationwide at fixing the
electoral process to ensure fair access and opportunity for voters.
* Propose efforts or activities to promote legislative reform in areas
relating to Election reform, including but not limited to ensuring the
requirement of a paper trail, transparent and fair voting procedures,
and all efforts to make voting more inclusive and difficult to tamper
* Coordinate with other groups, clubs and the Democratic Party to
achieve common objectives.
* Monitor City and County Government issues, State Assembly and Senate
issues, and Federal Congressional and Senate issues for legislation
that is of concern to progressives and the tenants of the
* Organize efforts to exert whatever pressure on our elected
representatives may be necessary to sway the vote, including
petitions, letter writing, phone calls, etc.
* Help identify qualified and desirable candidates for offices
countrywide, including school board seats, county supervisors, city
council, state assembly, congress, etc.
* Coordinate efforts to support candidates in their races, including
assistance with volunteer organization, fundraiser volunteer support,
precinct walking, phone banking, etc.
* Work with the Meetup sub-committee to help establish new Meetups in
strategic locations around the county.
* Promote recruiting new members.
* Establish relationships with other Democratic clubs and organizations
to promote concerted efforts to achieve our common goals.
* Work with the Outreach sub-committee to help establish new Meetups in
strategic locations and profile them to ensure that they meet our
* Scout out locations and profile them to ensure that they meet our
* Coordinate the various Meetup leaders to make sure that all Meetups
follow a common agenda.
* Work with the national DFA office to get whatever materials they
offer, and then decide accordingly which materials will be suitable
and useful for our local meetup.
* Plan events in and around the communities to improve our community,
promote a positive image of San Diego For Democracy and assist in
recruiting new members.
* Coordinate efforts for any protests or public events.
* Monitor news media for stories related to or affecting issues
pertinent to our efforts.
* Coordinate letter writing campaigns where necessary to protest/praise
* Take over the website and make it more usable and effective.
Framing the Message
* Work on the way we present our message.