addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Here are some things I think we need to be working on before 2006 elections, in no particular order:

How do we fight touch-screen voting without paper receipts?

What's the marketing strategy that will get to progressives -- speak to their issues and concerns, and get enough of them out to vote? (I.e., apparently, Rove uses mail order.)

How do we change the system of campaigning that allows for anything at all to be said in commercials without having to back it up.

How do we counter or stop Fox News.

I recently heard an interview with a European journalist (Italian, I think) about how they run campaigns. Candidates are given equal time on TV to make direct statements to the electorate about their positions -- no commercials. How do we advance something like this?

I know many of these seem like long-shots and feel overwhelming to take on. But, if it's what's necessary, we'd better get started.
A former member
Post #: 10
Here are some things I think we need to be working on before 2006 elections, in no particular order:

How do we fight touch-screen voting without paper receipts?*****Don't even think about it; without a paper trail OR the ability to examine the code or logs generated(which a Florida-naturally-court has ruled infringes on the companies'trade secrets') they are vulnerable to hacking.Or worse*******

What's the marketing strategy that will get to progressives -- speak to their issues and concerns, and get enough of them out to vote? (I.e., apparently, Rove uses mail order.)*****Believe it or not, there were a lot of 'progressives' that voted for Bush because they had 'terrorism' as a very high concern and Kerry didn't convince them that he was better at fighting terrorism than Bush; such generally happened in the 'middle America'; so much for the 'home of the brave'.*******

How do we change the system of campaigning that allows for anything at all to be said in commercials without having to back it up.****works for both sides and Republican's have more money****

How do we counter or stop Fox News.****Bigger issue is why does anyone find 'Desperate Housewives' or Wife Swap' worth watching? And it is those kind of shows that have those who had 'moral values'(20% of the electorate)as their primary motivation in voting for Bush dedicated. And why Islamic countries see the U.S. as rotten to the core. You might find this educational:
http://www.democracyn...­

I recently heard an interview with a European journalist (Italian, I think) about how they run campaigns. Candidates are given equal time on TV to make direct statements to the electorate about their positions -- no commercials. How do we advance something like this?*******By supporting independent media and building it up to a point that it is 'competitive(meaning audience coverage) with the corporate broadcasters(do you think that GE,the 3rd largest defense contractor that also owns NBC and MS-NBC, doesn't have a say in what appears on those networks?
)********
I know many of these seem like long-shots and feel overwhelming to take on. But, if it's what's necessary, we'd better get started.
*******Personally, a movement to have a constitutional amendment that guarantees the right to vote(which you currently don't have)seems like a good idea to me; be REAL interesting to hear the arguments against such and ALL of the U.S. could get behind it. The 'fallout' from that would be truly beneficial to reining in or subverting the 'conservative christian' movement.
devilish