addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DFW Aquaponics Message Board › Where to buy fish?

Where to buy fish?

Heather
user 84000242
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Does anyone know where to get fish in the Mansfield/Arlington area? I'm trying to set up a small aquaponics system (50 gallon tank), but I don't know where to get the fish.
Bob J.
user 18667641
Garland, TX
Post #: 54
Heather,

As I recall you are a teacher, so I assume you are setting up a system for your school kids.
Either way, you may want to consider "Goldfish". I had Tilapia my first year and lost them due to 50 degree water temp, they are tropical fish .. er were!

I have Catfish, Perch, Goldfish, and Koi in my systems. Catfish and Perch were from a friend moving his system. The Koi was from a friend with a Koi pond that was too crowded. It is less beautiful than the others so it moved to my fish tank. You might check with Koi pond friends, people that service ponds for Koi people, as the likely get the extra fish.

Consider calling places that raise Koi, they may have fish that do not meet their standards that you could give a home to or buy cheap.

I bought about 36 Goldfish from Petco for like $0.15 each and most of them lived. They are 5"-8" in size now.

Aquaponic system water is usually not clear, as it has good stuff in it like pond water, so seeing your fish may be a challenge. The fish like to hide too.

You do not need a lot of fish ever, and especially starting out when you don't have lots of plant volume. Starting with a few small fish works as they get bigger as the plants get bigger.

You may want to put water from an established pond or Aquaponics system so the biology will start quicker.
Many system owners will share some of their water when asked.

Bob Jordan Garland
Adam
user 11075995
Santa Fe, NM
Post #: 46
Heather, I sent you an email and I will be happy to help you get some fish. Additionally, I am working on a formal curriculum that can be used in schools to integrate the hands-on benefits of Aquaponics to the core disciplines of Math and Science, and even extensions to English and History. I would love to set up a time to talk to you and your school about my program ideas.
Trampas n.
user 102700452
Dallas, TX
I'm looking for mosquito fish ?
Adam
user 11075995
Santa Fe, NM
Post #: 69
Trampas -- try any "water garden" store or actually try your local feed store (sometimes they carry them.) I will look around tomorrow and see if I can find better information for you.

You can also go to the pet store and buy some guppies or mollies. They are the same family as the Mosquitofish, and though they don't breed as fast, they actually each the same things as food.... I have used both of the above as subs for Gambusia (mosquitofish) before with acceptable results.
Brian C.
user 6357921
Dallas, TX
Post #: 46
An alternative if your only goal is mosquito control is rosy red/fathead minnows. I have been using them for a couple of years and they work fine and are available at any pet store.

If i was stocking a pond i would use the mosquito fish because their behavior is better suited for surviving predation but in a tank where there's no place to hide, i dont think there is an advantage to having this relatively expensive fish.

just my humble opinion,

brian
Bob J.
user 18667641
Garland, TX
Post #: 78
FYI
Here is a place on line that sells Mosquito Fish:
http://www.theaquapon...­

Most fish will eat plant roots when they grow large enough. i.e. caution when using in raft systems. I lost a lot of plants quickly in my system using fish I thought were mosquito fish. Likely they were not.

Wikipedia says "Mosquitofish have been known to kill or injure other small fish by their aggressive behavior and otherwise harm them through competition"
Zachary
user 70180652
Dallas, TX
Dan Havrilak sent me this a few months back: “They have mosquito fish at Creative Water Gardens on Garland Rd and Kingsley (down the street from GreenPhoenixFarms). Give them a call.”

They pull them out of their ponds. I think they were 99 cents a piece. I bought 12 and now have hundreds in only a few months.
Adam
user 11075995
Santa Fe, NM
Post #: 70
OMG!!!!!!! That price from The Aquaponic Source is UNBELIEVABLY expensive..... I need to start selling different fish!

Brian makes a good point - Fathead Minnows are available at the pet store as "Rosy Minnows" and at any bait shop or pond stocking company. They are a great choice for mosquito control. But they are omnivorous. The benefit to the true Mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis), is that they are actually not herbivorous at all.
Trampas n.
user 102700452
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
thanks for the info i am wanting them for mosquito control an the fact they do not eat duckweed which i am expecting today. its hard to pay those prices when i get these for 8 a pound for hand size goldfish :)
i would upload a pic but this does not let me