We show and discuss a variety of films that reflect or incorporate aspects of dharma -- from documentaries to films set in Buddhist/Hindu countries with Buddhist/Hindu themes to western comedies and dramas which contain certain dharma principles.
Through this means, we aim at building a sangha.
We typically meet twice a month -- on a Friday or Saturday night --- in a small apartment in Mid-City. (If a new film showing in local theatres qualifies as "dharma movie", we might pick a time and location and make it a meetup.)
Below is a list of films we have shown and discussed already. (We are open to revisiting some of them in the future)
• Her • Shortcut to Nirvana • Samsara • Windhorse • Ida • Departures • Water
• Travelers and Magicians • Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring.....
• When the Iron Bird Flies • The Cup • Ostrov/The Island
• Ram Dass: Fierce Grace • Milarepa • Why has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?
• Of Gods and Men • Himalaya • The Wall • Woman in the Dunes • Monk with a Camera
• Baraka • Un Buda • Siddhartha • A Cave in the Snow • Vara: A Blessing
• Inside Out • Man Facing Southeast • The Brain (David Eagleman) • K-Pax
• The Razor's Edge • The Silent Holy Stones • Shegendo Now • Tsotsi
• Dalai Lama Awakening • Babette's Feast • Sukhavati • Ugetsu • Dharma River