let's have a break from the pre-Christmas shopping frenzy and discover pleasant suburbs in the north of Prague. This 8 km long stroll/hike is loosely inspired by part 2 and part 3 of the Hike around Prague we did last year.
We will meet on Sunday 4th of December at 10:00 am at the tram's number 10 terminus "Sidliste Dablice". It is two stops by tram 10 or by bus 103 from Metro C "Ladvi". Alternatively you can catch "10" in town and ride it all the way to the last stop - it takes about 42 minutes from the Charles Square or 37 min from Namesti Miru. From the Letna area you can use tram 17 to Kobylisy and here change for 10. Planning your travel will be a breeze with the journey planner.
An interesting linguistic point - Dablice could be translated as Devil town or Devilville. Despite of its name it is a pleasant residential neighbourhood.
• Dablicky hrbitov (cemetery) is the 2nd largest graveyard in Prague, and the only one in the world built in cubism style (planned by Vlastislav Hofman). Peculiar, right? We'll walk right through it and therefore will have a chance to admire the individual cubist features.
• The view from the site of the Astronomical Observatory in Dablice - this place overlooks the whole plain between Prague and the border mountains on the north (Ceska Tabule or Bohemian Basin). When the weather is clear it is possible to see the hills of Rip, Bezdez, Ralsko and even Jested some 70 km away.
• Pleasant walk across Dablicky and Cimicky Haj (grove) with a stop at the "Ladvi" peak, the highest place on the right bank of Vltava in Prague (359 m a.s.l.).
• Velka Skala (Big Rock) - originally an island in a warm prehistoric sea, now protected natural monument, covered by a pleasant pine wood and offering lovely views over Prague.
• Salabka - one of the last vinyards in Prague
• Cool people from the Discovering Prague Group.
This is an easy walk, mostly flat or downhill, however expect some muddy patches and uneven terrain. The walk will end at the Prague Zoo. From here the metro C station Nadrazi Holesovice is only a short bus ride away.
As usual you are warmly invited to join for an (optional) after-hike dining and socializing. The venue will be announced.
WHAT IF THE WEATHER'S BAD
If the weather is terribly bad, i.e. heavy rain, the event will be cancelled. In case of a sufficient snow cover this event will turn into cross-country skiing in the Dablicky Haj (Grove). All changes will be announce as they occur. Check this page in the morning before the event!
The contributions policy applies. The meetup contribution is 100 CZK per person. Anyone organizing a DP event in the past 3 months is exempt!
I look forward to walking & talking with you!
By signing up you accept Discovering Prague's disclaimer.