addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Kalamazoo Dungeons & Dragons Meetup Group Message Board › Western Michigan Gamers Guild

Western Michigan Gamers Guild

A former member
Post #: 20
http://www.wmgg.org/...­

Should we consider getting these folks involved in this meetup group? More members, more activity, more games!
Kevin W.
kwixson
Group Organizer
Kalamazoo, MI
Post #: 167
Absolutely! All are welcome. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I had some problems with my email at the start of the month that I just realized affected my meetup address. Fixed now and I'll start getting posts again.

Anyway, if anyone would like to liaise with them... just step up.
A former member
Post #: 21
Don't worry about the slow reply. Travel took me out of action for a few weeks and I haven't even been here to see the response!

Very cool to see a few new members!
Kevin W.
kwixson
Group Organizer
Kalamazoo, MI
Post #: 170
I just sent an email to the Publicity guy for the WMGG. I can't believe they're still using Marmalade Dog as their moniker for their con! I was there when John and Dwayne came up with the name for that thing and when John drew the original character. The one they have on their web site is a bad recreation, but definately derivative. I'll have to let John know. I was at the first MD -- I ran a couple games there! Man, that brings back memories.
A former member
Post #: 24
I've never been to a Marmalade Dog convention.. but I helped launch the first. I was on the WMGG executive board when it was known as WARP (I was a treasurer). In the spring of 2003 the board changed hands to a new team of people (most of the board graduated that year) and the 'game day' that was held by WARP moved to the Bernhard center and became something more. I joined the Army that summer and was off to boot camp before the convention happened (it was an October convention in 2003), and then life took me out of state...

I was very pleased to discover that things are still going strong when I got back. Hoping to get involved this year and be there at the least.
Kevin W.
kwixson
Group Organizer
Kalamazoo, MI
Post #: 171
If you were around in the early 90's, then I must have met you. Did you know Dwayne and Sue Haken? As I remember it, the first couple MD's were planned mostly by those two, and John Zimmerman. The name, I remember, came from John, and he just remined me that it was almost shot down at the time. It was the name of an (almost) band of a friend of ours, Jason Priess. Those three busted their butts to get that con going.
A former member
Post #: 25
Your picture has been nagging at me -- maybe we have met? I was at WMU from 90-93. Left for the Army on Oct. 13th in 93...

Dwayne and Sue are definitely familiar. Great people. I voted for them in the election that year. :) They did awesome work getting the con together and are a credit to the local gaming community for it (even if they are no longer around).

When I first joined WARP Jeff Kenward was President. Lisa and Gail were also involved (I forget their last names). I think Scott Warner was our WSA rep. He liked to play Paladins.

John Vanderkolk and I helped the convention cause by being political within the WSA. We managed (in Spring of 93) to get two people placed on the Judicial Council (they reviewed budget things and approved stuff like the expanded con). Then we worked our friends for votes in the WSA assembly to make it happen. My brother was his fraternity's senator, we had Scott, John, our friend Ken Stager, the Paper Science dept. senator, and a few others all together as a voting block. I think we even had the honors college people voting our way. Sean McCann and those folks were friends as well.

Dwayne, Sue, and the WARP/WMGG team did all the hard work making the con happen -- I just plied my political science connections (that was my degree of study) to grease certain wheels.

It's been almost 15 years though, so I may have a few details lost in the fog. Just remember that it was a good time getting it going and I was sad I couldn't be there for the con. We even had some guy who was going to set up a booth for his chainmail work. Neat stuff!
Kevin W.
kwixson
Group Organizer
Kalamazoo, MI
Post #: 172
Your picture has been nagging at me -- maybe we have met? I was at WMU from 90-93. Left for the Army on Oct. 13th in 93...

Maybe. I went to WMU starting in '91, and I'm not sure when I started hanging out at the birdcage in those little offices, exactly. Probably in '92 sometime.

Dwayne and Sue are definitely familiar. Great people. I voted for them in the election that year. :) They did awesome work getting the con together and are a credit to the local gaming community for it (even if they are no longer around).

They're around. Married. Kids. Dwayne's working third shift at Pfizer.

John Vanderkolk and I helped the convention cause by ... plied my political science connections (that was my degree of study) to grease certain wheels.

Ah! I wasn't anywhere near that side of things.

Scott Warner is working at Barnes & Nobel, by the way. He's always there, it seems.
A former member
Post #: 26
I'll have to stop by B&N after tonight's meeting then and see if I can't say "Hello" to Scott as well!

It's kinda funny, I grew up in Otsego, and even through college never had trouble finding people to game with. My friends were the gamers. So when I came back to the area in 2003 I really didn't think it would be hard to get a group of people together to game -- old friends should abound right? :)

Wrong. They either moved, or hid really well. Or I wasn't looking hard enough. ;) I'll buy the first beer tonight.

Oh, and I guess it would be useful to add that I'm not "grimwell" in real life, but am Craig Dalrymple. If I haven't shared that before it may (or may not) ring a bell or two.
A former member
Post #: 37
Judging by the updated Meetup note I gather that they liked the idea of working with us? :)