addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin D&D and Tabletop RPG Meetup Message Board Looking for: Group, Game, DM, GM, Player(s) › Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

user 4187847
Spring, TX
Post #: 25
I am interested in DMing the new Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG. I've not yet played it, but it looks fun.

For those unfamiliar with the system, it falls into the "old school" category in terms of its sensibility. It is an attempt to capture the feel of the literature that inspired early Dungeons & Dragons (the books listed in Appendix N of the AD&D DMG). The rules are relatively simple, but they are a more modern and creative, for lack of a better word, departure from Original Dungeons & Dragons than most "old school" games currently on the market. Further details about the game can be found at the publisher's website: Goodman Games. There also are several reviews online that can be found easily enough via Google.

I probably would run some of the published DCC RPG modules initially, so that we can get our feet wet with the system and determine if it is a game that we would like to play long term. If it is, I'd likely run a homebrew campaign with the system (borrowing from a variety of source materials).

I already have at least one interested player, possibly two. Hoping to recruit three to four more.

In terms of location, I might be interested in running initial sessions in a game store (assuming any has the space/availability). But I live just North of Austin proper (Cedar Park), and likely would host at my place in the long term, as I have the space and a decent-size table for gaming. If no gaming space is available in-store, we'd probably just start at my place from the outset.

As far as dates and times go, I think that Saturdays, during the day (say noon till four to six, depending on schedules) likely is the best available time for me. Work makes weekday gaming very difficult for me to fit in. Ideally, we would play weekly, but biweekly may be necessary during periods in which my workload is particularly onerous. And we likely will be on hiatus whenever there is a major holiday or life intervenes and deprives us of a quorum. (Players, including me, occasionally have other things to do involving travel, friends, and/or family that precludes gaming on a particular weekend.)

In terms of expectations, they are pretty minimal: just looking for sane, friendly, hygenic people with a sense of humor who enjoy gaming and have the time to do so.

There is a single rules book for DCC RPG, which retails for about $40, but can be found on Ebay for less. If we end up liking this system, players likely will need a copy in the long term. Initially, this probably won't be necessary though. If we play the recommended 0-level, character creation is so simple that you won't need anything but your dice. (I should add that DCC RPG uses some oddball dice in addition to the conventional set; but I have some of those on hand should the need arise.)

My games tend to be on the crunchier (i.e., combat oriented) side; I don't think it is a coincidence that most RPGs devote a substantial portion of rules coverage to combat. As it's promotional materials suggest, DCC RPG definitely anticipates a lot of conflict. But they're also not called "roll" playing games. Roleplaying, character development, and storytelling are part of the fun too. Folks who are looking solely or primarily for the latter (LARPers, I'm looking at you!) wouldn't dig my games though.

In terms of DM style, I'm not overly adversarial. On occasion, I have been known to exclaim "Really?!?" when players suggest they are about to do something so lunkheaded that it makes me wince. On a whole, however, I am content to let reckless, foolish characters realize their potential. :)

I have been playing since the early 1980s. I cut my teeth on AD&D in the fourth or fifth grade. Most recently, I DMed a couple of longrunning 4E campaigns. I have not played in the last several months due to work, but have some free time now. Currently, I'm looking to move back to more "old school" style gaming. (Other systems that interest me: Swords & Wizardry, particularly the complete rules published by Frog God Games, and the newer version of Hackmaster, put out by Kenzer & Company.)

If this sounds like it might be your cup of tea, you can shoot me a note about yourself at recruitingforgame512 - at - gmail dot com.