Cohousing, housing cooperatives, cohouseholding, communes and ecovillages - Intentional communities, transition towns, nonprofit affordable housing, senior "villages" -- What's the difference and why does it matter?
What's living one of these communities really like? Should I join an existing community or start my own? Where do I find openings? How do cooperative communities really work? Who's in charge? You'll get answers and links to a world of resources at our EBCOHO orientation.
Orientations vary from Saturdays, Sundays, and very occasional weekday evenings, but we hold them every 4-6 weeks. Come when you are ready!
Comments on recent orientations:
Very informative and well-presented. Nice group of people, too (of course!).
Leslie Hassberg ( http://www.ebcoho.org/members/13498229/ )
... I left inspired. Jeff French ( http://www.ebcoho.org/members/9064675/ )
...Very thorough, lots of good advice. Raines is a wonderful host. Walter Feigenson ( http://www.ebcoho.org/members/13122957/ )
Presentation so knowledgeable, yet relaxed. ... very lovely people i met - ginny ( http://www.ebcoho.org/members/77157692/ )
Program runs from 10 til 12:30, including a little time for Q&A. Light refreshments available, but lunch is not provided.
Agenda usually includes:
• Member introductions, visions, and goals for cooperative community.
• Overview of different types of intentional communities, short definitions, and examples, in the Bay Area;
• How to use EBCOHO and other resources to find or create a cooperative community.
• Your Questions & Answers, Concerns, and Opportunities
• Community-building game or exercise, and time for open sharing on your experience and interests.
Dr. Betsy Morris, Cohousing Coach (http://www.CohousingCoaches.com/ (http://www.cohousingcoaches.com/)) and community organizer, will present and lead discussion.
The orientation fee of $20 per household helps cover ongoing EBCOHO expenses such as meeting space, refreshments, insurance, websites, and memberships in key partners and allies.
Coaching clients can come free, and members of supporting groups pay just $10.
Your fee is refunded if you become a supporting member on the spot. (Supporting members get our thanks, discounts on future EBCOHO hosted events, and a copy of a cohousing book or a Communities magazine back issue set of 4.
If you RSVP for multiple people, MeetUp will tell you the price is per person, but relax... it's really per household, so bring your better half or housemates. If you register with a friend, you can both get $5 off. You can pay in advance by credit card or at the door by cash or check.
If you can't come out with us on a Saturday morning -- fear not! Keep eye on the EBCOHO calendar ( http://www.ebcoho.org/events/calendar/ ) for what's coming up, weekend and weeknight orientations, (un)common meals, socials, movies, and other ways to connect. We hope to see you soon.
Other workshops throughout the year will address:
• Be Prepared: Buying or Leasing Property Together
• Developing and Financing a New Cohousing Neighborhood
• Developing and Financing a Housing Cooperative
• ABC's of Good Group Process
• Marketing and Member Development
• Patterns of Thriving Cooperative Groups