What we're about
Equity - Diversity - Inclusion
🏳️🌈🏳️⚧️an LGBTQIA+ friendly space
True Allyship can be both uncomfortable and rewarding. Being an effective Ally involves taking responsibility for educating yourself about the situations, challenges, and realities faced by the people and communities with which you wish to stand in alliance.
One of the ways that we can do this is by using the resources that have been made available by people with lived-experience and peer reviewed research undertaken with those being "researched". It is important to take the time to actively listen to what they have shared and accept how their experiences differ from our own. Most events in this group will have a single focal video resource on the event topic/theme that we watch together and then use as the foundation of the group discussion. In this way, we can share our own thoughts or relevant experiences, and benefit from the various perspectives present, while thinking about the issues, challenges, or realities shared with us.
Hosted from Australia, we acknowledge and pay respect to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and Elders of this nation and the continuation of cultural, spiritual and educational practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
This group does not claim to be a definitive or authoritative voice on or for any group of people or organisations.
- All meetups are casual, based on mutual respect and the Chatham House Rule.
- Questions are acceptable.
Judgements of or disrespect for marginalised groups or individuals is not.
- Diversity, by definition, means that there may be experiences, realities, beliefs that differ from your own - this is a space of tolerance, sharing and self-education.
- Only one warning will be given for unacceptable behaviour. Any repeat offense will result in removal from the group.
- The decision lies with the group Leadership Team, which consists of the Group Owner and any moderators that are appointed.
This is not an official UOW social media page and is in no way associated with or endorsed by the University of Wollongong