What we'll do
As part of our commitment to provide real and tangible training and information, here’s a talk by Joe Schmetzer (@tumbarumba).
Communication is a core skill. It is at the heart of all our interpersonal relationships with family, friends and work. It is something we instinctively learn from birth, and continue for the rest of our lives.
Effective communication unlocks better relationships, and dramtically improves effectiveness, adaptability, innovation, competitiveness and profitability.
We are inherently bad at communication.
This talk explores the various ways in which we fail to communication effectively, including:
- Unconscious assumptions and cognitive biases
- Mismatches between individual and group goals (the Unilateral Control Model)
- Hiding information due preserve control or minimise losses
It's not all lost, though! There are a number of techniques and skills we can use to communicate more effectively, including:
- Mutual Learning Model
- Non-Violent Communication (NVC)
- Clean Language
- 5 Secrets of Effective Communcation
At the end of this talk, you will understand the causes of ineffective communcation, along with different models for better and more effective communication. The practice is up to you!