What we'll do
Each session is facilitated and includes group translation, general social time and group reflection on the translation process and specific vocabulary and sentences which were difficult/insightful. We have a maximum of 20 participants in each workshop, and form groups of 3-5 people with some native speakers of English, and some native speakers of Chinese. There is a text for us to translate together, we need to use both of the group languages (e.g Chinese and English) to complete the translation. The texts are recent articles about contemporary cultural issues.
Why should you come?
1. This event WILL challenge your language skills in terms of both Vocabulary and Grammar
2. You will not be stuck making small talk with people covering the same topics as normal like "How long have you been studying Chinese".
3. You will have authentic conversations in both Chinese and English about real topics in society
4. This is a professionally run event, we have three experienced facilitators who are also active participants and are dedicated to promoting language learning and cultural exchange
5. We have a booked, clean and accessible room which is quiet and comfortable in Lonsdale St in the city. The venue hire, snacks and drinks are sponsored by the language school that we partner with Level Up English
6. This is a genuinely intellectually engaging and fun event with interesting and motivated participants in attendance weekly.
This is one of the few language exchange events in Melbourne that cater to Intermediate to Advanced learners of Chinese and native speakers. We have a core of dedicated language learners who come every week and tackle a different text on a different topic.
We run interactive translation workshops for learners of Chinese and English to work together to complete a translation. The workshops are great for Chinese learners and speakers who want to develop their knowledge of language and meet other people who speak their language.