What we'll do
This is night one of the Night Sky Explorers Course Introduction to Astronomy.
ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF TASMANIA
No cost but affordable donation to Astronomical Society of Tasmania appreciated.
The course consists of two 3-hour sessions over consecutive evenings. The Astronomical Society aims to make the course enjoyable, informative and suited to participants with little or no previous astronomical knowledge. We hope that, by the end of the second evening, you will have some knowledge and understanding of the basics of the night sky and telescopes.
If clear skies permit we will devote as much time as possible outside doing both naked-eye observing and observing with the Society’s telescopes.
Where possible, we will tailor the program to suit the needs of those attending. There will be plenty of opportunity for everyone to ask questions and to take part in discussion. Information in terms of notes (star maps, etc.) will be given to participants during the evenings.
What to bring?
Warm clothes, including a heavy coat, gloves, headgear, warm socks and solid shoes are essential. It can get very cold observing outside for an hour or two.
A small torch (not too bright) will help; a red-light torch would be useful, if you have one. A notepad and pen would also be of use if you wish to take notes.
If you have access to a small folding canvas chair feel free to bring it along for observing. We will also provide fold-up chairs.
• Introduction and welcome with an explanation of the course objectives
• Introduction to basic celestial motion to explain the changing features and motion of the night sky
• Naked-eye night sky observing; you will be shown the practical side of celestial motion and receive a guided tour of some of the interesting objects visible to the unaided eye
• You will be given printed star maps for the two evenings which will assist our observation sessions
• Introduction to telescopes, eyepieces and mounts
• Hands-On introduction to using telescopes of different types
• Introduction to sky maps and how to find one’s way around the night sky
• Night sky observing with telescopes
• Where to from here? How to access astronomical resources and learn more about the night sky