What we'll do
Before putting your name down for this hike, please read all the information below, and especially the Important information at the end.
Come and join me on this amazing hike across the Kii Peninsula and experience ancient culture and architecture, delicious Japanese food, traditional accomodation, warm onsens and friendly Japanese hospitality!
This hike is organised through Home Comforts Hiking and Kumano Travel. See www.homecomfortshiking.com for more information.
- Fly to Osaka KIX airport. Choose your own flight.
- Train from Osaka KIX to Kii Tanabe departs around 2.00pm (Japanese time)
- Accomodation at Kii Tanabe. Arrive around 5pm. Briefing will be held at 6.00pm
- There are over 70 restaurants and bars in Kii Tanabe, for dinner
- Bus (40mins) to Takajiri
- Walk 13.5km to Chikatsuyu. Total ascent is 900m. PADS rating is 2.9
- Traditional Japanese accomodation at Chikatsuyu
- Dinner and breakfast included
- Bus to Hosshinmon Oji
- Walk to Kumono Hongu Taisha. Explore the shrines and surrounding area and architecture
- Optional walk 3.0km to Yunomine Onsen. Total PADS rating for day 3 is 2.2
- Bus to Kawayu Onsen. There is an onsen in the river!
- Accomodation at Kawayu Onsen
- Dinner and breakfast included
- Walk to Ukegaw, them walk 12.6km to Koguchi. Great scenic views today! PADS rating 2.3
- Accomodation, at Takada. Dinner and breakfast included
- Jet boat along Kumanogawa River, then bus to Shingu
- Explore the Hayatama shrines and amazing architecture at Shingu
- After exploring Shingu, take local train to our accomodation at Kii Katsuura.
- Dinner and breakfast provided.
- Early morning visit to Tuna market (optional)
- After breakfast take the bus and spend time exploring the beautiful Kumono Nachi Taisha area. It has the tallest waterfall in Japan and glorious paths and gardens.
- About lunchtime we take the train to Osaka KIX Airport. The train journey takes over three hours, and follows the coast of the Kii Peninsula
- Arrive at Osaka KIX airport around 5.00pm for our flights back to Hong Kong
• What to bring - this information will be provided a few weeks prior to departure date
• Who should sign up?
This hike has some moderate sections which are not recommended for those that do not have basic fitness and some hiking experience. An optional luggage transfer service is available for an extra charge
What is included.
- All accomodation
- 5 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 4 dinners
- Train and bus fares
- A guide for the six days
What is not included
- 4 lunches and 1 dinner
- Passport, visa (if applicable) and travel insurance
Price is $1,790. If selected to join, $300 deposit is payable within one week of signing up to secure your spot. Balance due 12th February 2020.
Safety is a key consideration when planning this walk. The dates are chosen to coincide with favourable weather. I will take an emergency beacon and first aid kit on the hike. I have basic first aid training. Daily briefings will be held to discuss the course, weather and other risks, prior to departure. By joining the hike, all participants accept the risks involved, and agreed to exonerate the leader and any other participants in our event from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or deaths or damages arising thereof.
Good communication between participants and the host is essential for a successful multi day hike. Please contact me by email ([masked]) as soon as you put your name down as going. I need your name and contact details (email and phone) to arrange accomodation and to provide you with additional information, including payment information. Your spot is confirmed upon payment of a $300 deposit.