We're a group that meets to go for a walk in and around Melbourne, usually followed by a coffee or a bite to eat nearby. Our walks are designed to be a chance to get out and walk in nature with some fun and interesting people, to get a little exercise and make some new friends.
Most walks will be one to three hours long, on weekends, public holidays or weeknights, around the Botanic Gardens, by the beach or along river trails around Melbourne, with some occasional longer walks further from the city. Most walks will be accessible by public transport.
If people wish to go at different paces, we split into smaller groups so that some can race ahead then catch up with the main group over lunch/coffee afterwards.
The dull stuff:
• We will generally start walking fifteen minutes after the meeting time - don't stress if you're running late, but please use the comments or send the walk's host a message if you're running later than fifteen minutes, so we know to wait for you or tell you how to catch up with the group.
• In rare circumstances, walks may be cancelled/rescheduled if there will be heavy rain during the walk time or unhosted if something unavoidable prevents the event host from attending. In such cases, an email will be sent to all who have RSVPd yes and notes will be put up in the comments section of the walk - please check your email or the comments board by 8.30am on a walk day, just in case.
• Please remember to change your RSVP if you can no longer attend a walk. It's fine to change your RSVP for any reason up until the RSVP deadline (and you don't need to give a reason or leave a comment when you're changing your RSVP), however it's unfair to the rest of the group if you've RSVPd yes and we wait for you or try to find/contact you when you're not coming. If something comes up after the RSVP deadline, please send a comment or a message to the event host to let them know. You may be removed from the group after one no show (if you've never attended a walk before) or two or three no shows (if you've attended a few walks before and we don't think it's a habit). You won't be marked as a 'no show' if you changed your RSVP or if you let the host know.
• Four legged pals are welcome on most walks, but you will need to check any restrictions that might apply in areas we'll be passing through on the walk and check that they'll be able to join us for coffee/lunch afterwards. Event hosts are not always able to check this, so please make sure your pal will be okay!
• To help cover meet up's annual fees, walkers can choose to pay $1 every time they attend a walk up to a total of $5 per year.
•Members are encouraged to suggest great walks, or to become event organisers and host their own walks - send a message to Julia if you're interested and I'll add you.
• Please try to use PTV to work out public transport options and use comments to organise carpooling rather than messaging organisers, and please don't message organisers to ask when the next walk will be - all walks will be posted as soon as they're organised. As there are 500+ members in the group, organisers cannot reply to all of these messages, but will try to answer other questions.