Silicon Valley Social (SVS) is a social group for singles and couples, including all ages of adults who enjoy socializing and meeting new people in the Bay Area of Northern California. You are welcome to join us as we do a variety of social events including going to night clubs, restaurants, museums, vineyards, hiking adventures, house parties, etc. We will also sprinkle in some community volunteer opportunities. We will LEVERAGE our group to receive discounts, extended happy hours, and other great perks that an individual cannot get.
Our members range in age from 21 to 80+. We don't discriminate. If you are looking to just hang out with people your own age in trying to hook up, then this isn't the right group for you as this is a very diverse group with a lot of positive energy. Join and you will meet some quality new friends.
This group is about helping out in the community, having fun, socializing, and meeting new friends while in a safe environment. By joining this group or remaining a member of this group, you agree to refrain from the list of inappropriate behaviors listed below while attending Silicon Valley Social (SVS) events or visiting the Silicon Valley Social Meetup site. If you exhibit any of the following, you will be removed from the group:
• Sending spam emails to members to promote a business, event, etc. without permission of the main organizer.
• Posting comments on an event page or using the "Start a conversation..." functionality to promote a business, event, etc. without permission of the main organizer.
• Not having a picture where you are recognizable. If you aren't recognizable in your SVS profile picture, then you are subject to removal and will have to request to rejoin the group with a valid photo.
• Sending emails to members you haven't met for the purposes of dating or picking up. This isn't a dating website.
• Having multiple profiles with the group. Only one profile is permitted per person.
• Excessive posting of comments or negative comments on event wall-space. This requires the Event Host to volunteer additional time. It also causes members to waste time looking for important event updates. Note that there is no need to tell us that you won't be attending an event. Merely change you your registration status.
• Texting or calling the Organizer for any reason other than trying to find the group during a meetup event. Note that the number is provided to facilitate finding the group only. No exceptions.
• Being touchy or physical with another member (overly aggressive).
• Causing another member to feel uncomfortable based upon behavior OR comments (creepiness). Note that INITIATING flirting with members half your age will not be tolerated.
• Showing inappropriate pictures or content to other members at an event.
• Excessive gossiping about fellow members and/or creating too much drama.
• Behaving in a manner that suggests a sense of entitlement such as requesting organizers to volunteer too much of their valuable time or expecting them to post events that you want to attend.
• Excessive no shows in relation to the number of events attended. Note that we take attendance at most events except music in the park events. Members are responsible to monitor their own registration status. When you are on a waiting list, don't assume that you didn't get in to an event.
• Repeatedly bailing out of events the same day of the event. A high frequency of this behavior can lead to be removed from the group.
• Stalking other members.
• Bringing outside food or drink to a venue that serves food and/or drinks, unless explicitly stated that it is permitted. This doesn’t apply to hiking or other non-venue outside, events.
• Blocking the main organizer from contacting you.
• Showing up to an event without securing a spot (crashing). Note that members are not allowed to bring a guest to an event unless they secure a spot online for their guest. Some events are limited to members only.
• The same thing holds true for couples who use one profile. Make sure you secure two spots initially if both of you are attending an event.
• Note that if you register for an event and later want to bring a guest, you will have to give up your spot by going on the waiting list if the event is full. The only other option is to have your guest join the group and add themselves to the waiting list. Please don’t request to bring a guest if you haven’t secured a spot online.
Expected Member Conduct
Members are expected to read the event description and any updates posted by the Event Organizer before attending an event. This helps eliminate the need to ask questions that have already been explicitly stated in the event description. It also keeps expectations in alignment with the event format/structure.
Please use a personal photo where you are recognizable for your profile as we like to know whom we are communicating with and we take attendance at our events. Otherwise you will not be admitted to the group or you might be removed from the group.
In order to receive important emails sent from Event Organizers, make sure that you have the following setting options enabled for this group: ‘Announcement about a specific Meetup’ and ‘Announcement to members about the group’.
When interested in attending an event, you will need to secure a spot online. Note that if you later decide you want to bring a guest to an event that you already signed up for that is full, you will either need to lose your spot and go to the end of the waiting list or you will need to encourage your guest to join the group and add their name to the waiting. Please don't contact the event organizer and ask to add a guest. This creates too much work and requires too much volunteer time.
Note that we sometimes remove inactive members from the group. We encourage active membership.
Important to Read Regarding Your Legal Rights
Disclaimer for Event Activities and Site Use / Release of Liability
In exchange for participation in the activities organized by the Silicon Valley Social (SVS) Meetup Group you agree for yourself and your guests (if applicable), to the following:
You are responsible for your own interactions with other members of the SVS Meetup Group. You understand that the group does not do background checks on any of our existing members or on new members joining the group. This site makes no representations or warranties as to the conduct of its members. The organizers and event hosts of this group are NOT liable for any damages whatsoever, whether direct, indirect, general, special, compensatory, consequential, and/or incidental, arising out of or relating to your conduct or anyone else's conduct in connection with or attending an event with the SVS Meetup Group or use of this site. This includes, without limitation, bodily injury and emotional distress. You agree to take reasonable precautions in all interactions with other members of the group, including if you decide to meet outside of an event. In addition, you agree to the group's terms and conditions noted above and to abide by them.
You agree to observe and obey all posted rules and warnings, and further agree to follow any oral instructions or directions given by organizers or event hosts of the group when attending an event.
You recognize that there are certain inherent risks associated with the organized activities and you assume full responsibility for personal injury to yourself and (if applicable) to your guests, and further release and discharge the organizers and even hosts for injury, loss or damage arising out of your attendance or your guest’s attendance of an SVS event, whether caused by the fault of yourself, your guests, or other third parties.
You agree to indemnify and defend SVS against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgements, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in way arise from your attendance or your guest’s attendance of an SVS event.
You agree to pay for all damages to the facilities caused by any negligent, reckless, or willful actions by you or your guests.
Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under California law.
You agree and acknowledge that you are under no pressure or duress to agree to this and that I you have been given a reasonable opportunity to review it before agreeing. You further agree and acknowledge that you are free to have your own legal counsel review this Agreement if you so desire.
YOU HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY JOINING THIS GROUP OR REMAINING A MEMBER OF THE GROUP, YOU VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER THESE CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS NOTED ABOVE.