This is a popup group to read and discuss the novels (and perhaps a few short stories) of Kurt Vonnegut Jr (1922 - 2007).
We'll read and discuss Kurt Vonnegut Jr's novels over 14 meetups – one every two months. As well as general discussion, we’ll try to have some formatted discussion around some of the issues and themes that the stories deal with. For example, Vonnegut's:
• use of science fiction themes/devices
• experiences in WWII and how they inform his writing
• use of humour and satire
• attitudes to religion, politics and sex
• philosophy (thoughts on the meaning of life and living a good life)
• contemporary reviews and current criticism/appreciation
We’re looking at having small meetups (6 – 8 people) for ease of discussion. You don’t have to have read the books before, nor be an sf geek. You just need to be interested in reading and discussing some quality literature from one of the greatest American authors.
Initial plan is to meet on the second Tuesday of every second month. This could change depending on members’ preferences.
For general information see:
Player Piano (1952)
The Sirens of Titan (1959)
Mother Night (1961)
Cat's Cradle (1963)
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (1965)
Breakfast of Champions (1973)
Deadeye Dick (1982)
Hocus Pocus (1990)