What we'll do
You'll need a decent level of fitness as this hard 10.6km hike gets really steep (we climb 594m elevation - with a maximum grade of 68%, which is steeper than the Kokoda Track in PNG) - BUT we won't leave anyone behind. So take up the challenge!
WHAT TO BRING
• Sufficient water (1 litre, 2 litres+ on hot summer days)
• Picnic lunch and snacks
• Suitable outdoor clothing (no jeans/sneakers!). Check the forecast on
the day before you leave.
• Rainwear & warm jacket
• Proper hiking boots/shoes
• Casual shoes (+ socks) to change into afterwards for our coffee stop
• A friendly spirit :-)
The small gravel carpark on Sheffield Rd (near the corner of Glasgow Rd). Drive to the eastern end of Glasgow Rd then turn a sharp right before the road curves left and becomes Sheffield Rd. I will be wearing a black backpack with fluro yellow stripes. PLEASE come 10 minutes early as we will be leaving at 10:30am sharp. If you can’t find us (as a last resort) call me on[masked].
* Note that there are NO PUBLIC TOILETS at the beginning, middle or end of this hike.
COFFEE STOP (after the event)
Hahndorf Fine Chocolates -[masked] Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd, Montrose
MAP OF THE EVENT
1. Download the AllTrails App and create your profile
2. Click on "Profile" (bottom right of screen)
3. Click on "Following"
4. Search for "Paul iHike iRide iRun" and select
5. Click on "Follow" at the bottom
6. Click on "Maps" then scroll down to the map you're looking for
All events will take place even in challenging weather conditions (rain/heat/snow) so take courage (and wise precautions) and embrace the opportunity. Cancellations will only happen if extreme weather conditions are forecast. If unsure check the App for notifications the night before.
HARD – An advanced level of fitness and experience are essential for “hard” events. Read ALL the details of the event thoroughly before signing up. Participants must have recently accomplished similar long events with many challenging hills. If you’re not sure do NOT sign up as a misguided choice will probably put yourself and the whole group at risk.
If you or anyone under your care has any special needs or relevant medical conditions please advise the leader of the event immediately on arrival.
This hike is NOT suitable for primary school aged children. Teenagers under the age of 18 must be under the constant supervision of a parent or guardian.
SAFETY & RESPECT
• During all events everyone has the right to feel safe and respected. If at any stage you witness unacceptable behaviour please advise the leader of the event immediately.
• The event leader has the right (and duty) to prevent someone from participating in the activity if they do not have the necessary clothing, food/water, equipment or disposition to ensure a safe experience for themselves and others.
• I strong recommend that you read this extremely important PDF called "Walk Safe" by Bushwalking Victoria:
• Please download the Emergency+ App
Our events may sometimes be difficult and considerably hazardous and due care will be taken to make sure that everyone is supported and safe. However, the organiser will not accept liability for any injury or accident. Participants should take care, wear suitable clothing and footwear, maintain their equipment, and act appropriately in their surroundings. You are responsible for your own safety. By RSVP’ing to this event you indicate acceptance of these terms. It is very strongly recommended that everyone has ambulance cover, as even an ankle injury could lead to costly evacuation.