What was the Original Inspiration for the Jaunters? (2011)
The name of this meetup group is called "The Jaunters". It was the perfect definition for what we did i.e. excursions, outings, pleasure trips, junkets, sashays & expeditions.
People were making friendships, trying new things and having fun along the way. Which gave me hope, that this meetup group had something special i.e. Potential to have a real sense of ‘Community, Friendship and Reliability’.
The Jaunter's were a very social meetup group since 2011. There had been over 460+ events held over the years. All of these events were thanks to the help of volunteers, who shared their hobbies and passions in hosting events for the group.
‘Community spirit’ was a big part of who we are. We were active supporters of local festivals, charities and businesses. We were also a ‘community meetup group’, that gave back to the ‘community’ to help support charities such as Oz Harvest, Red Cross, Beyond Blue and Cancer Council.
Our events were generally inspired by things happening in and around Sydney. 'Quirky, creative, fun, hidden gems, cheap and cheerful' were often common themes and experiences.
To give you a snapshot of the type of events held, here were some of my favourite Jaunter's experiences:
• I’m a foodie at heart, and love going to eat at places which have signature dishes, hidden gems, and cheap & cheerful.
We dined at over 150+ Sydney restaurants including Arias, Din Tai Fung and Sokyo. And even held our own Jaunter's Hatted Restaurant Festival in 2014, all on a shoestring budget.
• Not to mention desserts galore… Gelato, Macarons, Scones with clotted cream and jam. Yumo! :) The Jaunter’s were such dessert enthusiasts, that we have even held our own series of dessert events called the ‘Jaunter's Dessert Safari and Jaunter's High Tea on the Run’.
• We were going to quirky small bars with character with the likes of Baxter's Inn, Shady Pines and even a french pub called LE PUB.
• Art & photography played a big inspiration. We were regulars at Vivid, Sculptures by the Sea, Art & About and Biennale.
• We also went to a lot of free community events and festivals including Sydney Festival, Sydney Film Festival, Festival of the Winds, Aroma Coffee festival and Bizarre Markets.
• We had the occasional friday night at the flicks and enjoy watching french movies.
• And yes, we still had time to fit in some active activities like the Amazing Race, Go Karting, Lawn Bowls and Laser Skirmish...
There was a huge variety of events, hence there was usually something for everyone in the Jaunters Meetup.