addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The New York Experimental Music Meetup Group Message Board › Inquiries and also want to introduce myself.

Inquiries and also want to introduce myself.

A former member
Post #: 4
Hi everyone. I joined this group out of curiosity. I'll be making my way back to NY soon. I'm a drummer and here is a short list of my favorite artists: Tortoise, Rachel's, St.Vincent, Devotchka, Neutral Milk Hotel, His Name Is Alive, Pale Saints, Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Lali Puna and too many jazz artists to list. I'm avoiding sites like craigslist. These are the types that would answer my craigslist ad: Underaged, overprivileged, predictable, pretentious Williamsburg hipster kids that wants to pander to a specific demographic and puts a high premium on age and image. Bad! I mean like Donny Osmond ego bad. The most interesting experiences I have had were with artists willing to remain as a duo. In Minneapolis I collaborated with a baritone guitarist that finger-picked and was a classically trained pianist; In Austin I collaborated with a saxaphonist that ran his horn through Abelton Live and used effects pedals and loops to texturize the sound. How is it possible that I haven't met these types in NYC; artists that are willing to transcend the traditions and conventions of music structure? Are these people locked up in psychiatric facility somewhere waiting for a discharge that is long overdue? I'm lost.