Sandwich-Making for the Homeless Saturday, 11:00 am–12:30 pm at 3025 MAIN/Excuses Café in Deep Ellum. Enter through side door at 3025 Main,
Free parking behind the café building on Elm St, inside the chain-link fence. (Do not park in Baker’s Ribs parking lot next door or the parking lot between Baker's Ribs and 3025 Main.) For metered parking, pay or get a ticket.
Dress: Pull hair back so it doesn’t hang in your face or wear ball cap, wear anything you can get bleach spots on.
Bring These in Any Combination:
- Sliced sandwich bread—one loaf of bread makes 11 sandwiches—cheapest is at Aldi’s, Walmart, and Sam’s
- sliced bologna—cheapest bologna is at Aldi’s—Walmart, Sam’s and Costco are cheaper than grocery stores
- American cheese—
- Yellow Mustard,
- No mayo or other coniments
- Zip sandwich bags—no fold-over sandwich bags
- Plastic or latex gloves, Medium, Small, and Large
- Tortilla chips—buy the biggest bag you can find
- Cookies—sandwich cookies (look for 7-10 cents-a-pound cookies), animal crackers, other cookies, or homemade cookies. For homemade cookies, wear gloves when you take them off the cookie sheet, and wear gloves when you put them in a large zip bag to bring them
- Donations—While sandwiches are being made, someone makes a trip to the store to buy what we are short of. Give donations to Al or Dan before sandwich-making starts
About Sandwiches for SoupMobile: The goal each week is to make more than 1,500 sandwiches, about 2½ days’ meals. We also bag individual servings of chips and cookies - the SoupMobile gives out more than 600 bags of cookies and 600 snacks bags every day, and individual bags of snacks and cookies are easy to store until they are used.
About the SoupMobile: The SoupMobile was started by David Timothy, aka The SoupMan, who passed out 5,000 peanut butter sandwiches by himself. The SoupMobile has grown every year. The SoupMobile mobile soup kitchen now serves more than 600 meals a day (200,000+ meals a year) to hungry, homeless people in the South Dallas area.This event ~Sandwiches for SoupMobile supplies more than half of the sandwiches served by the SoupMobile.
To learn more about SoupMobile go to:www.soupmobile.org and www.facebook.com/SoupMobile.