From Hobby to Entrepreneur with Shapeways
Our guest this week, Shapeways Community Manager Andrew Thomas, will discuss how you can get started with Digital Manufacturing on Shapeways. We will discuss the prerequisites for designing and 3D printing your own products, the materials available and how you can start a business in an afternoon. After a short presentation we will have a Q+A session to answer any of your questions.
Shapeways is a 3D printing marketplace and community, empowering designers to bring amazing products to life. From jewelry to puzzles, miniatures and more, create, buy and sell your products using 3D printing.
* * *
So... there has been a lot of fuss about this desktop 3D printing revolution thing for a while now. Still very exciting!
We have a new-old idea that leaps beyond the news hype and celebrates the wonder of the activity itself. Let's get together every Thursday evening to explore this broad field, in all of its many facets and manifestations. And get to know each other better -- from bold pioneers, to new adopters, from teachers to students, manufacturing experts, to code and electronics hackers. This is your space to grow and share.
Topics we might explore on a typical Thursday evening include:
- 3D design software and techniques. From getting started, to pushing boundaries.
- Explore more of the 3D ecosystem, from making use of 3D printing service bureaus to starting and managing your 3D Hub.
- How to prototype and develop your own physical products, tools, and artwork.
- 3D printing materials: strategies for fabricating in more than just 1-2 plastics.
- Casting and mold-making: from precious metals to candy bars.
- Finishing techniques. Sanding, painting, sealing, melting, deforming, decorating, hydro-printing.... Why just make things that look like plastic?
Let's spend time together sorting out better ways to use these tools, and better ways to design.