addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Friendly Feminist Message Board › Should I be upset about this...

Should I be upset about this...

Alicia
user 64521922
Woodsville, NH
Post #: 1
If there's another girl on a different who believes women are weak and then insults you when you disgree, is it right to be mad?
I mean this person has this view that men are superior and women are weak both physically and mentally, not only that it's a girl who's saying it that kind of appalled me a bit.
I mean where's this gender's generation going when you have girls that, I want to say self-hating but that doesn't make sense since it's her own gender she hates and not just herself.
What's your guy's opinion on this?
Alicia
user 64521922
Woodsville, NH
Post #: 2
I guess I shouldn't let it get under my skin - that's not a very strong woman thing to do - I just feel a little... betrayed and more so appalled by the fact that on one else on the forum bitch this person out for her rude comments, but I'd like to think that's only because they don't wanna deal with ignorant people

Just in case you're wondering what forum it is it's here:
http://www.gaiaonline...­

the post I speak of is the second one down... plus it should be obvious which one it is by what it said.
Alicia
user 64521922
Woodsville, NH
Post #: 3
alright I'm surprised no one responded to this - seriously I'm looking for support here. I don't care if you say I'm wrong just say anything so I know my cries haven't fallen on deaf ears
allison
user 7928734
Lexington, NC
Post #: 2
Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of activity on this site right now. While there do seem to be a few of us ready to start trying to breathe some new life into this group, it may not be the place to get the immediate feedback you are looking for.

I'd suggest trying out a site like reddit. It's all user-generated content on pretty much whatever topic you want to talk about. There's an area for feminism here (www.reddit.com/r/feminism) that may give you a quicker response than anything you'll find on a meetup group forum. This site (as a whole, not just the FF) is geared to finding local connections more that providing an online forum like reddit.

About your original post... the first sentence confused me because it wasn't clear what "different" distinction you were trying to make about this woman. Now that I see it was on an online forum, I would say that it's healthy that things like this get under your skin, but I don't know how productive it would be to bitch this woman out. This won't change her mind about her position any more than her insults have made you willing to listen to her. I think your insight about other people not wanting to deal with her ignorance is spot on. Don't feed the trolls, so to speak.

I don't think you're going to find anyone here who agrees with her, and I think that's a big part of why I am hoping this group starts to pick up again. I want to know how to address ignorance like this in a way that leads to changed minds.

Maybe we can keep situations like this in mind as a talking point when we do finally get some face-to-face meetings started.

In the meantime, don't sweat ignorant, nasty people. It's not a reflection on you. The lack of punitive retaliation is not a reflection on your strength, feminine or otherwise. Take a stand when and where you can make a difference, but don't count is as a failure if ignorant people remain ignorant. It's more important that you are true to yourself.

-Cheers
Alicia
user 64521922
Woodsville, NH
Post #: 4
Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of activity on this site right now. While there do seem to be a few of us ready to start trying to breathe some new life into this group, it may not be the place to get the immediate feedback you are looking for.

I'd suggest trying out a site like reddit. It's all user-generated content on pretty much whatever topic you want to talk about. There's an area for feminism here (www.reddit.com/r/feminism) that may give you a quicker response than anything you'll find on a meetup group forum. This site (as a whole, not just the FF) is geared to finding local connections more that providing an online forum like reddit.

About your original post... the first sentence confused me because it wasn't clear what "different" distinction you were trying to make about this woman. Now that I see it was on an online forum, I would say that it's healthy that things like this get under your skin, but I don't know how productive it would be to bitch this woman out. This won't change her mind about her position any more than her insults have made you willing to listen to her. I think your insight about other people not wanting to deal with her ignorance is spot on. Don't feed the trolls, so to speak.

I don't think you're going to find anyone here who agrees with her, and I think that's a big part of why I am hoping this group starts to pick up again. I want to know how to address ignorance like this in a way that leads to changed minds.

Maybe we can keep situations like this in mind as a talking point when we do finally get some face-to-face meetings started.

In the meantime, don't sweat ignorant, nasty people. It's not a reflection on you. The lack of punitive retaliation is not a reflection on your strength, feminine or otherwise. Take a stand when and where you can make a difference, but don't count is as a failure if ignorant people remain ignorant. It's more important that you are true to yourself.

-Cheers

Thanks... It's good to hear a little suppose and now that I' haven't been talking to that person anymore I'm starting to feel a better...