addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Freedom From Religion Foundation - Valley of the Sun Chapter Message Board › tax loophole for church schools in Arizona

tax loophole for church schools in Arizona

Chip B.
chipbosse
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 1
What do you other members think of this loophole that Arizona has to give state tax money to schools that are run by churches? Can we get FFRF lawyers involved in this?

This is the kind of thing that just makes me crazy!
Bobbie
AZanimallover
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 15
I agree with you. Just think of the money the country would have if all churches and church-related organizations were taxed. How would most (bigoted) citizens feel if they were aware that the same tax break was given to Muslim places of worship and organizations?
Tomas, a.
altomas
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 89
It makes me crazy too!
Chip B.
chipbosse
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 2
Perhaps I was unclear. The loophole I was talking about is something like this....A single person can direct $1000 or a couple $1500 of their state income tax to be used to pay tuition for a child at a school run by a church.

They claim that since it is a taxpayer who is giving money to the school, not the state, this is legal.

It seems to me that if the guy who lives next door is sending his taxes to a private school instead of the Arizona general fund, the state is going to need more money from me. This cannot really be legal. I don't think it would stand a legal challenge.

As to taxing churches, I thought the deal the government made was " we will leave churches alone and they will stay out of politics". They are supposed to be charitable to the poor and such. If they would stay out of public policy and just get together to talk to themselves and drink tiny cups of wine, I could be OK with that.