Suggested Hobbies & Passions Groups near California
Photography Walks & Workshops in San Francisco by Casey
San Francisco, CA
Let's explore San Francisco by taking pictures (and videos) and learn new techniques along the way. Plus get outside for fresh air and exercise too! About me: I have been doing photography for over 35 years and used to shoot weddings, portraits, commercial work for decades. I am an expert in still photography having started with the Nikon F4 film camera plus the Hasselblad 503cx medium format film camera in the 90s, then transitioned to digital with the Nikon D1x and D2x in early 2000, and more recently changed to all Canon gear with the Canon R5 and 90D and M50 digital cameras. I also actively use the Canon XF400 and G60 camcorders for creating online content for my YouTube channel "Casey On Location". Because I enjoy photography and filming, I can also share my knowledge with others who share the same passion. I am a long-time resident of San Francisco since 1980 so I know quite a bit about The City by the bay. So join the group and we can shoot images and videos together at interesting spots in San Francisco, learn a thing or two from each other, and hopefully get in some sunshine and exercise too.
Diablo Valley Photography
Walnut Creek, CA
This is a group for people who are interested in learning more about digital photography, how to use their cameras, and to make better pictures for travel, portraits, family, wildlife, landscape, etc. People with all levels of expertise are welcome.
Our group members are very interested in holding lots of fun, varied and challenging events that are mostly free. All of our members help to provide content to our site that is informative. We help support and mentor our members to ensure everyone has a good time and continues to learn about photography.
In order to keep most of our events free and to pay for the costs of our meetup site, there is an annual dues charge of $15 for members. We have instituted a trial period of 30 days.
Only members who have paid their dues will be permitted to attend our events. Since our site is semi-private to members, please feel free to join, take a look around the site and decide whether our group is right for you. Our goal is to keep the group small so that everyone gets to know each other. If your plan is to join without participating, then this group will not be a good fit for you. We hope you join and stay!
⚠️⚠️⚠️ Get your t-shirts! ⚠️⚠️⚠️
🔶 Who this meetup is for
This group is for intermediate and experienced riders who enjoy socializing with other riders <br>
❤️ All motorcycle brands are welcome
🔶 What you can expect on a typical ride <br>
We meet 30 minutes prior to the start of the ride for coffee, tea and socialization. We then discuss the day’s ride, go over safety details and take off.
Stops are typically between 50 - 75 minutes apart, depending on the types of roads we’re riding, but we’ll stop at the request of any rider if the need arises.
We usually have lunch at a predetermined location or pick an impromptu spot.
The trips back often involve taking the highway as people like to just get home faster. You can always leave any ride early.
⚠️ Official Ride Rules
We have a set of official rules that we follow as a group. These are read out before every ride.
⚠️ What is expected of you
🔸 Interpersonal Interactions
We expect our fellow riders to be treat each other with kindness and respect. This meetup only works if people feel comfortable around other members
You are responsible for not only your safety but also of the riders around you, so reckless driving will not be tolerated. Full safety gear is recommended to be worn at all times, but that decision is ultimately left to the individual rider. <br>
🔸 RSVP cancellations
We request that of you cannot make a ride, you change your RSVP to No to let the organizer know not to wait for you.
⚠️ Rider Requirements
✅ At least 21 years of age.
✅ M1 class license or an out of state equivalent.
✅ Completion of a motorcycle safety class is not required, but is highly recommended.
⚠️ Equipment Requirements and Recommendations
✅ Your motorcycle should be in good working order including having properly inflated tires as well as working brakes and lights.
✅ Full tank of gas before any meetup
✅ FasTrak is not required but highly recommended
❖ Participation ❖
Your ride participation will be reflected in the Custom Name field on meetup according to the following rules:
🔶 --------- at least 1 ride
🔶🔶 ----- at least 3 rides
🔶🔶🔶 - at least 5 rides
💎----------at least 10 rides
💎💎------at least 15 rides
💎💎💎--at least 20 rides
⭐ -------- at least 25 rides
⭐⭐ ---- at least 30 rides
⭐⭐⭐ -at least 40 rides
👑 -------- at least 50 rides
👑👑 ---- at least 75 rides
👑👑👑- at least 100 rides
🌃 - overnight ride participation
☸️ - visited a Buddhist temple during a ride
🛠 - helped solve a mechanical issue during the ride
📸 - took great photos during a ride
🐕 - brought a doggy on a ride
👨👧 - brought a family member on a ride
🔮 - Made a prediction that came true
🍨 - Hosted an ice cream social
🔍 - Found your way back to the main group after being separated
🌆 - Attended a Sundowner ride
🐉 - Rode the Little Dragon
🔙 - Rejoined the group after leaving
🌮 - Attended a Tracy Taco Time ride
🏝 - Had lunch at Hulas Island Grill
🦉 - Provided wise advice
⚠️ Legal Disclaimer ⚠️
Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity and by attending any of the meetups you acknowledge that you are solely responsible for your actions and any injuries that may result from those actions.
Let's practice photography!
My name is Mia and I am a bay area photographer who knows quite a bit about my Canon T6I and 5D3. In this group, we aim to expand our creativity by exploring boundaries and doing whatever it takes to push them. I strive to maintain a judgment free, fun experience. Future shoots include indoor and outdoor themed shoots with an emphasis on fashion and nature. In our studio workshops, we experiment with props, lighting, and posing. Above all we come together to network and collaborate as we put our creative minds together. Welcome and thank you for joining the family. ❤
Oddizens - Queer & Gender Diverse Creative Gamer Geeks
San Jose, CA
We are a queer-inclusive and gender diverse group of geeks, gamers, and crafters based in the South Bay Area, California. We play and teach tabletop games with a newbie-friendly mindset, hang out and craft at local, independent cafes and shops, enjoy leisurely outdoor activities, and collaborate with queer-positive organizations in our area to provide a comfortable, welcoming space for people of marginalized identities to socialize with like-minded peers.
Our Values: We hold these statements to be self-evident and strive to uphold them by word and by example. We reserve our right to remove people from our events and membership who willfully act or express beliefs contrary to our values.
1. Queer genders are valid. You can identify as a gender that is neither male nor female, as multiple genders, as a spectrum of genders that changes in composition and/or intensity over time, or not identify with gender at all.
2. Queer attraction is valid. You can be attracted to one gender, to multiple genders, or romantically attracted to different gender(s) than you are sexually attracted to. You can experience only romantic attraction, only sexual attraction, or not experience attraction at all. You can be romantically and/or sexually intimate with one person or multiple people who knowingly consent, and are of legal age to consent, to that interaction.
3. Your gender identity is valid whether or not it matches the gender you were assigned at birth, the gender marker on your official documents, or the gender people think you are based on your physical traits, mannerisms, or sense of style. You are not required to take hormones or have surgery to affirm your gender unless you deem it necessary to do so.
4. We show our respect for the identities of others by using the names, pronouns and terms they tell us to use. Adjusting our language to accommodate them takes a negligible amount of effort and reassures them that we accept them as they are.
5. We believe that dominant social groups (such as able, cisgender, heterosexual, male, neurotypical, and white people) benefit from greater accessibility, opportunity, safety, social influence, wealth, and other privileges than marginalized groups (such as disabled, transgender, gay, non-male, neurodiverse, and Black people) do not.
6. We oppose the stigmatization of mental illness and neurodiversity. We welcome people to speak openly about these topics when they can do so safely, so that the challenges of living with atypical brain chemistry are recognized, acknowledged and addressed.
7. Regardless of how we identify, we are still capable of excluding, discriminating against, perpetuating harmful stereotypes about, or using outdated, offensive terms to refer to marginalized groups we do not belong to. We remain receptive to corrections and continued learning about the diverse identities our community represents.
8. Each person is affected by a different set of triggers and has different levels of tolerance for being exposed to those triggers. We use content/trigger warnings as a courtesy to allow people to opt out of subject matter they find disturbing or traumatic.
9. We respond swiftly to allegations of hate speech, harassment, and abuse. We take these matters seriously when brought to our attention, and always prioritize the safety and well-being of the victim(s) when formulating our response.
Code of Conduct: All Oddizens members (and their guests) are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct when participating in our events and communications.
Read the full text of the Code here: https://bit.ly/oddizens-info
Sierra Thunder Chapter Harley Owners Group Rocklin CA
This meetup is for dues paying members of Sierra Thunder Harley Owners Group, Chapter 4058, affiliated with Harley-Davidson of Rocklin, CA.
We love to ride and enjoy socializing together. We are currently meeting at 6:30 PM, the 3rd Thursday of each month, at Mountain Mike's Pizza, 5505 Whitney Blvd #2f, Rocklin, CA 95677, Come early to eat and socialize. Guests and prospective members are welcome to attend our meetings.
Having a National HOG membership (https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/owners/hog.html) is a pre-requisite for maintaining membership with Sierra Thunder HOG.
@ Menlo Park Library
Menlo Park, CA
The Menlo Park Library offers a variety of programs, including art events, author talks, info sessions, craft sessions, music events, and more. To make the most of our programming efforts and this meetup page, we’d love for you to get involved. If you come to a program, say hi and let us know you saw it on meetup. If you have an idea for something you’d like to see at the library, send us a message. The library is a great space for community meetups and we’d love to play a role in making those connections!
Bay Area Anime and Gaming
San Francisco, CA
In light of the rise in delta variant cases, we are restricting event attendance to those that are fully vaccinated. Please be prepared to come with proof of covid vaccination we will be checking. In addition, masks are required for all indoor events. Anyone caught forging vaccination proof will be banned from the group permanently.
If you forgot your vaccine card, you can retrieve your record through this link
Welcome! We host events related to anime, games, or otaku culture all over the Bay Area. We are a laid back group that likes to have fun, make friends, and discuss our anime and gaming experiences. With this group, you can expect events like anime marathon nights, hangouts in Japantown, films at local theaters, conventions, game nights and more. Any suggestions for events? Feel free to contact the organizers. We hope to see you soon!
Bay Area Book Geeks
Mountain View, CA
Do you love books!? Well you have come to the right place. We totally geek out on all types of books. There is a discussion group for many genres of books. Just pick one to attend or pick them all. This is a group effort and we are open to people doing their own organizing if they wish. Either way there is plenty to read and do.
1. This group is a fun, safe space for people to discuss their opinions, make friendships, read amazing books, and have great discussions. Harassing and threatening members will not be tolerated.
2. This is a group to meet people, even people you might potentially want to ask on a date. This is natural and acceptable, however many members attend for the reading and socializing alone. It is highly encouraged that any member not treat this group like a dating site.
3. If a well loved book is suggested as reading for the group, please be advised that not everyone will share the same opinion. This group encourages debate because it is what makes a good discussion. Respecting other opinions is highly recommended.
4. Group organizers are responsible for keeping an eye out for internal problems. If a member feels uncomfortable or disrespected please bring it to our attention.
5. We are happy to have so many members with the Bay Area Book Geeks and with the popularity of all our book clubs growing. Since the meetings are starting to have a consistent wait list that is sometimes nine people long, we are implementing a new policy to make it fair to all our members. To encourage members to keep their RSVP’s current we will start taking note of any no shows at all meetings. If three no shows turn up on your record then the next time you RSVP for a meeting and the meeting has a wait list you will be automatically moved to the wait list for that event. If you keep your RSVP current, then this will not happen. It is standard to update your RSVP at least 24 hours before the event if you will not be able to attend. We cannot track this and so I will trust everyone to try their best to abide by the 24 hour limit. We understand that emergencies happen, and if one comes up at the last minute, let us know as soon as you can, and we will adjust your record accordingly.
East Bay Ladies Book Club
NOW MEETING ON ZOOM DUE TO COVID-19! Please see location of each event for link :)
Thanks for joining a special group of ladies who love to read and discuss books with a glass of wine. This group was initially started quite a few years ago because our fearless leader is a book junkie who was looking to join a book club in the area and found none. We read mostly contemporary lit, but do mix it up every so often with a classic. This is the book club for anyone who has read/watched "The Jane Austin Book Club" and thought it would be great to connect and share my thoughts with fellow readers. If you want to be more than an attendee and build relationships with other women this is the club for you. Believe it or not we love e-mail, so please reach out to us if you have any questions.
Let's Read! Fremont Ladies Book Club
There's always room for one more book enthusiast in the Fremont Ladies' Book Club!
We are a group of women who love to read and love socializing with others who share our passion for books. If this sounds like you, we'd love to have you join us.
Everyone gets to contribute to the book selection process. This allows us to read a wide variety of books that we may not have otherwise pick up. We read fiction, non-fiction, biographies, literary fiction, popular fiction, classics and once, a graphic novel.
Most of our members are in their 40s - 70s, but there is no age limit. We meet TWICE a month on zoom for regular meetings -- usually on the second Monday of each month at noon (known as the DAYTIME Group) and once on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 7 pm (known at the EVENING group). We have members who attend only one meeting a month and members who attend both. It depends on your schedule. A few people attend every meeting, but we always have new members at our meeting. There are no attendance requirements, even if you don't finish the book you are welcome!
We are also arranging some more social events, still around books in addition to our regular meetings so look out for those too.
Come to laugh, share stories and make new friends. Browse the site to see the books we will be reading and those we have discussed in the past.
Looking forward to meeting you!
Netflixionados, Primers and Hulu-ites
Do you like streaming TV shows and movies on services like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu? If so, this is the Meetup for you!
We'll watch the movie or TV show in the comfort of our own homes and then get together (either online or in-person) to talk about it! Occasionally, we may watch highly anticipated movies in theatres because...well...sometimes we just can't wait until it's picked up online!
Rule #1: NO SPOILERS (or put *spoiler* in your posts). Some of us have just stumbled upon a great series or movie. If you've seen it before, please...don't ruin it for the first-time watchers!
Spirit Motorcycles San Jose Riding Group
San Jose, CA
Calling all Motorcycle riders! At Spirit Motorcycles San Jose we organize Store Rides and everybody is welcome - every motorcycle brand - over 600cc in order to keep up with highway speed when needed. Several customers requested Store Rides and here they are.
All skills levels are welcome (unless specified in the particular ride). Most rides start at our Indian Motorcycle and Victory store (460 Meridian Ave. San Jose) with a nice and hearty breakfast. Safety talk and ready to enjoy the beautiful roads and twisties we have around (150 to 250 miles rides). We organize bike nights on Wednesdays. And we do longer rides as well. We are a bunch of good and friendly people, ready to explore, ride and enjoy.
It does not matter whether you are a beginner or a seasoned rider, whether you have a cruiser of a touring bike, we help each other and enjoy the ride (and we have fun!)
We are driven by the following Objectives:
- Provide a forum for riders enthusiasts to make friends with like minded people.
- Provide opportunities to enjoy different types of rides (night, day, twisties, long rides, hills, etc.)
- Enhance knowledge and ability with professional riders / safety instructors.
Safety is always first and we look forward to having fun together, and making new friends. Looking fwd to meet you.
Shaye and Martin
Bay Area Ladies' Fantasy Book Club
San Francisco, CA
This is a book club for those who love fantasy and science fiction novels with diverse female protagonists! Each month, we'll read a new book and meet to chat about it over Zoom. (Once the pandemic has slowed down, we look forward to meeting up in real life and having a chat over food and beers again!) Everyone is welcome to join, as long as you're down for female-centric books and respectful discussion.
See book recs, suggest our next book, or find others' Goodreads profiles on our Message Boards! (https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Ladies-Fant...)
Novel Lovers of Sonoma County, CA
Novel Lovers of Sonoma County, CA (originally Novel Lovers of Sebastopol) is a book discussion group where we talk in depth about contemporary literary fiction. Yes, we really discuss the book for two hours! We assume that you’ve read the book and are eager to talk about it. We’re friendly and welcoming – not stodgy at all -- but we do take our book discussions seriously!
We read contemporary novels, almost exclusively those that have received critical acclaim and/or won literary awards. We try to schedule a few books ahead so you can get the book and plan your time. To participate in this process, comment on our message board, especially the current Book Recommendations thread.
Please RSVP “yes” when you know for sure that you’ll be there, and please change your RSVP if your plans change. Don’t RSVP “yes” if you mean “maybe,” and please don’t be a no-show. As a courtesy to the wait list, our host, and me, please change your RSVP if you can't attend, even at the last minute.
Each time I announce a book, the RSVP list fills quickly, and we often have large wait lists. Almost everyone does get in (people's plans change, emergencies and illnesses happen, etc.), so if you're on the wait list, read the book. If you get in, even as late as the day of the meeting, you'll be ready.
Bring a snack to share if it's convenient, and a couple of dollars towards the organizer dues.
We look forward to talking books with you!
Questions? Email Joan Price, organizer.
8/16/20: I realize I haven't updated our group description since we moved our meetings online in March 2020. Here's what we're doing now:
* Novels: During the pandemic, we're still reading one novel a month, meeting online for 1.5 hours.
* Short Story Group: Our book club has been reading contemporary novels, and we also created a short story spin-off group that met monthly before the pandemic. After we started taking our meetings online, we switched the short story group from monthly to weekly, one story, one hour. We have a core group that meets each week. We're open to new members who want to discuss short stories in depth.