addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Formula 1 NYC Meetup Message Board › Fox/DirecTV dispute could affect Abu Dhabi & Brazil GP coverage...

Fox/DirecTV dispute could affect Abu Dhabi & Brazil GP coverage...

Uchendu N.
UnnDunn
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
So, News Corp and DirecTV are currently engaged in an acrimonious dispute over (what else) carriage rate negotiations. At stake are many of the News Corp-owned cable channels, including Speed Channel, which could be yanked on November 1 if the two parties do not come to an agreement.

Feile (like most sports bars in this country) has DirecTV, so if Speed does get yanked, we may not be able to watch the races there.

Normally I wouldn't be overly concerned about this--DirecTV has a good track record of getting these disputes resolved with minimal customer impact (mainly because, since they have the commercial market on lock, they can simply pass the price hikes on to commercial establishments who can more easily absorb it). But this time, News Corp is playing hardball, as part of a plan to extract the same kind of rates for Fox sports properties that Disney gets for ESPN properties. They've already had similar disputes with Time Warner Cable and Cablevision, both of which resulted in channels getting pulled for some length of time.

I personally don't care who wins the dispute; I'm just concerned that we may not be able to see the last two races of the season at Feile. Even though I don't often make it out to watch the races with you guys, I'd still miss the opportunity to do so.

Just a heads up.
Uchendu N.
UnnDunn
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 3
Looks like DirecTV and Fox were able to reach an agreement. So no problems.