- Grass Roots/Avalon Meet Up
An outdoor meetup on the Avalon Board Walk, at 30th Street. seating is provided but you'll need a music stand. Music will be provided or a link will be added HERE to download or print out the songbook. Greetings to all! At long last-the music is here! If it is too much, we can all just pick songs from the yellow book, No worries! See you soon, Warmly, Suzanne https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47cHz_DfBfUUFNPNjB3WHY1TS04ZmtCYW9Zcm5BWVVXVXRZ/view?usp=sharing Don't forget your sunscreen, water and perhaps a hat.. Plenty of parking, and toilet facilities are available. THERE IS NO RAIN DATE.
- Grass Roots Ukulele Meet-Up ( DATE CHANGE)
• We are going to celebrate summer! •The sun is bright and the sand is hot. The beaches are full of people, umbrellas dot the sand, along with a couple of large tents that look like they should be in the Sahara. And there's that cooler, holding all the goodies. Juice for the kids and more sophisticated beverages for the adults. (Alcohol is strictly prohibited. ) Its a time when we get too much sun burn, a place where young people are falling in love and a memory is growing that will last forever. Music will be loaded right here with a link added in a week or so you can download it or print it, and bring to the meet up. There's no need for music stands , we sit at long tables. Here is the music link in Blue. Click on to download> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HfT6t0BVzDMo1UmTEECHwnP-honp2BiA Join us for a night of Summer Fun !! You'r welcome to bring a friend!!
- Concert at the Shores ( Methodist Senior Living in Ocean City NJ)
The Grass Roots Orchestra, will be making two presentations, the first at 2:00:PM at a special Birthday Celebration. This segment will begin with a Piano led sing along of Happy Birthday. Harriet Bailey, the pianist , is a long term volunteer there. We will follow Happy Birthday, with our orchestra presentation accompanied by Ms. Bailey on our first three songs. Upon completion of this 20 minute segment, the orchestra will relocate to the Memory Unit where we will repeat our presentation. Should be loads of fun. The residents we are told love to sing along. Please join us if you are available. Please bring a music stand to the concert. NOTE: THE BUILDING HAS RECENTLY ADDED A NEW SECURITY SYSTEM AND EVERYONE WHO ENTERS THE BUILDING WILL BE ISSUED A PRINTED BADGE, THE PROCESS TAKES A FEW MINUTES, SO THE EARLIER YOU CAN ARRIVE, THE EASIER THE PROCESS . Here is the link to the music: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r6AAVPMVp_JjTlXy9KnJfI4t9mp7mg6V Rehearsal is Thurs evening june 13 at 7:15 PM in our normal meeting room.
- Grass Roots/Avalon Meet Up
An outdoor meetup on the Avalon BoardWalk, at 30th Street. seating is provided but you'll need a music stand. Music for today's event is taken from the Daily Ukulele (Yellow Book) by Liz and Jim Beloff. The numbers after each song title is the page number of the song. Bring the yellow book if you have one. If you do not you can download or print out the songs using the 2 blue links below and bring them with you. (Two links were necessary because of the number of pages and my scanner capability) Don't forget your sunscreen, and you may want to bring water and a hat. Plenty of parking, and toilet facilities are available. THERE IS NO RAIN DATE. First link. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FAJKCC8Q5sTvN4iXxnw9Gs89ZB1RFPsA Second Link. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14-QFhE82Zev6U8p8__H1RATouzgw41YV
- Grass Roots Ukulele Meet-Up
In June we'll do a Round Table Song Selection from our Yellow Books. (The Daily Ukulele by Liz and Jim Beloff available from Amazon Books and many music shops.) We'll take turns picking our personal favorites and announce the song number and page, so go thru the book before the meeting and select a few songs so at the meet-up we can spend our time playing rather than searching for a song. Like they say, a good Ukester is always prepared ! Wait a minute, I'm sorry, it's a a good scout is always prepared. Anyway it will save us some time if you pick your songs before the meet up plus you'll be able to practice them a few times. At our May meet-up I asked a couple of our members about suggestions for future meet-up themes or sources for music. One suggestion was a Doo-Wop night, another was music from a particular decade, like the 70's or 80's. Or how about a Hawaiian night? What would you like to play? Please send me a message or an e-mail with your suggestion. Individualized programs will allow us to alternate songs with our Yellow Books. Let me know what you think and we'll get them on the calendar. Hope to see everyone on June 6th. Please don't forget to contact Lee Bergen if your interested in bringing joy to a local senior citizen who may not be enjoying the quality of life that we are lucky enough to have. Strum On!!! Bob
- Grass Roots Ukulele Meet-Up YAA HOO!!
• This month we are going to revisit, the old west when Cowboys (and Cowgirls) ruled the day and (Saturday morning television) riding the plains, moving the herd and singing around the campfire. Relive the days of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Gene Autry, the Sons of the Pioneers, and our heroes of the past. It will be a Wild Wild (West) evening. https://drive.google.com/open?id=11CjxtVys44kHxewOfzee0SV1qovQHRXX Bring a copy of the music, link is included below and your ukulele . We sit at long tables so a music stand isn't necessary. Sorry but your horse will have to remain downstairs and all weapons checked with the sheriff. There will also be a brief quiz about the Cowboy Indian era with prizes awarded to those who finish number 1, 2 and 3 with the correct answers.
- Grass Roots Ukulele Meet-Up
• What we'll do •Bring a copy of your Yellow Book and your ukulele. We are sitting at long tables so your music stand isn't necessary unless you prefer to use it. At the meetup we will take turns picking a favorite song from the book for the group to play. • Important to know IN 2019 we are using THE YELLOW BOOK FOR most of our meetups. The official name of the book is The Daily Ukulele compiled by Liz and Jim Beloff. There are two books available, a yellow book and a blue book. We will be using the yellow book.
- Grass Roots Performance at Brandywine Living at Brandall Estates
We've been invited to entertain the senior residents at Brandywine Estates. A song book is being prepared for a concert of 45 to 60 minutes. As usual, we will encourage the residents to sing along and hopefully we'll fill the room with smiles and create a fun event. There will be a rehearsal on Thurs March 14th at 6:45 PM in the Art Center of the OC LIbrary. (our usual meeting location). Song books will be distributed on Thurs. (If you would like to join us on the 18th we would prefer you attend the rehearsal.)
- Grass Roots Ukulele Meet-Up
• We are adopting a theme for our March Meet Up "Traveling" All of our songs will relate to travel, for instance we might take a trip to the moon or hop a train or take a long walk. We all like to travel so in March, we'll travel through song. Here's a link to the songbook. some of them can be found in the Yellow Book and are indicated on the list by a YB and the page number. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AxdT_HiplnQ_OxCydky6-LYIRqmCe6TO •Bring a copy of the music, your Yellow Book and your ukulele. We are sitting at long tables so your music stand isn't necessary unless you prefer to use it. I will be bringing new copies of 3 of the songs in the package, 2 are in the wrong key and the third contains finger diagrams for a baritone ukulele. The songs are Traveling Man, and Leaving on a Jet Plane, both should be in C, and Take Me Home Country Roads with the correct diagrams. When preparing for a meet up we suggest you read thru the songs and look up those you don't know on Youtube. You might even find a youtube page that plays the song, and shows the chords so you can follow along. Review each song sheet and look at the chords. Some may have a diagram to show finger placement. If a song sheet doesn't have them then test yourself. Do you know how to play a C or G chord. If so you don't need a diagram. If there's a chord you don't know then draw a diagram yourself. By doing so you will learn chords and finger placements much quicker. • All levels of players are welcome. We are a very accepting group who will happily show you chords to get you started. We all started at the same place and someone helped us, now we must pass that along. Make new friends and join the fun.
- Grass Roots Ukulele Meet-Up- Shaping the Future
• What we'll do •Bring a copy of your Yellow Book ( The Daily Ukulele by Liz and Jim Beloff) and your ukulele. The book is available on Amazon.com. We are going to take turns picking songs from the yellow book to play. We will be sitting at long tables so your music stand isn't necessary unless you prefer to use it. I recently purchased a plastic table top stand at Staples for about $12. which will be a big improvement over the music laying flat on the table. We are going to begin our meeting with a discussion about how to continue improving as we enter the new year, and develop an action plan to improve the performance of our orchestra. We hope you'll take part in this important discussion. We have a large number of registered members who haven't attended a meet-up yet, so we'd like to invite you to come join the fun. Start off 2019 making new music and new friends.