addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Food for thought from the AKC website

Food for thought from the AKC website

Carly
user 12663935
Portland, OR
Post #: 17
There is a widely held belief that "AKC" or "AKC papers" guarantee the quality of a dog. This is not the case. AKC is a registry body. A registration certificate identifies the dog as the offspring of a known sire and dam, born on a known date. It in no way indicates the quality or state of health of the dog. Quality in the sense of "show quality" is determined by many factors including the dog's health, physical condition, ability to move and appearance. Breeders breeding show stock are trying to produce animals that closely resemble the description of perfection described in the breed standard. Many people breed their dogs with no concern for the qualitative demands of the breed standard. When this occurs repeatedly over several generations, the animals, while still purebred, can be of extremely low quality. Before buying a dog, you should investigate the dog's parentage (including titles, DNA and pedigree information), the breeder's breeding practices, the breed standard, and the genetic tests recommended by the Parent Club for the breed. For more information, go to About Buying a Dog and visit the Parent Club website.

On a sidenote, adopt when you are able, because you may be a shelter dog's only hope at a 2nd chance.
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 170
Amen! I've been trying to tell people that for years.
Also, really bad people who do not care at all for the betterment of a breed can very easily falsify papers of any dog. So if someone with NO ethics is a back yard or puppy mill type breeder and offer papers with all their dogs (especially if they offer full breeding rights etc.) Beware!!! The quality is not there and the dogs may in fact not be purebred at all!
I have known of dogs that have come into rescue with full breeding right papers and the dogs were in fact a mix of Frenchie and other breeds like English, Boston, Pug! Unfortunatley just becasue a dog has papers does not in fact guarentee you a well bred or pure bred dog at all. Very Sad sad

Do your homework and if you want a dog that has been well bred, go to a reputable breeder and pay the extra for a healthy, well bred, medically tested and sound fur baby!
Carly
user 12663935
Portland, OR
Post #: 18
and I will add another Amen to that Gracian! Unfortunately there are many little frogs and frogettes up for adoption, one website near and dear to my heart is the French Bulldog Rescue Network. It's also hosts a plethora of useful information on the breed. Gracian, are there any rescues within the PAC NW too?

http://www.frenchbull...­

Please check it out fellow Frenchie lovers.smile
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 171
Carly I volunteered for FBRN for years! :-) Yes, there are several other rescue groups in the Pacific NorthWest. Another Frenchie group is, French Bulldog Village. And then there is Cascade Bulldog Rescue, they rescue more then just Frenchies.

When I was with FBRN I had 6 rescue dogs over the years. There actually is not very much rescue work on Oregon. I also volunteered for FBVf or several years and I never got any action at all. Luckily Oregon is a very friendly dog state and most (most not all) people take fairly good care of their dogs. I know that Cascade gets a lot of action since they take in English, French, boston, Boxers, Etc. Rescue work is very rewarding, but also very sad all at the same time. I do keep in touch with many of my rescue friends.