addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Looking for a Frenchie Breeder

Looking for a Frenchie Breeder

Randie
randie503
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hi, everyone! Just joined the group, hoping to become a Frenchie mama. Currently looking for a reputable and ethical breeder, preferably local (Pacific Northwest). Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
Holly
user 2362494
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 11
Hi, I recommend Full Moon Bulldogs, they are local, the breeder and the dogs are fantastic. She raises Frenchies and English Bulldogs is Located just a short drive from Vancouver, Wa. she is a very conscientious breeder and a great person as well. I have had the opportunity to meet her and some of her dogs in person. She strives for the best and it shows with her dogs. According to her website she is expecting a litter in April. her site is www.fullmoonbulldogs.com, check it out, you won't be sorry. Good Luck..
A former member
Post #: 487
Randie,
you can contact the Pacific Northwest French Bulldog Club
http://pnwfbc.webnode...­

Or you can contact me directly for the list that the French Bulldog Club of Puget Sound has put together. All breeders on our list adhere to a strict Code of Ethics, show their dogs and have extensive health testing programs on their breeding dogs.

You can email me through the Meetup site if you wish.

Shirley
user 3171660
Portland, OR
Post #: 17
Randie here is a very sage piece of advice from a breeder of 20 plus years - DO NOT BUY A PUPPY from any breeder who does not attempt to show their dogs in AKC events.

Speaking as a breeder we are a pretty egotistical bunch - and if you are breeding to improve the breed then you want to show them - to have your peers see them and to be judged against them.

"Breeders" who tell you that they do not have time to show, that all show people are snobs are merely dishing out excuses as to why they only breed their dogs merely to produce puppies to sell.

A true breeder loves to show their dogs - they are proud of them - they want them in that ring so that people can see them and admire them - they usually only breed a litter when they want another show dog.

If someone has enough time to produce a litter of frenchies and raise it properly then believe me they would have enough time to spend a few hours at a local dog show - so the "I dont have time to show my dogs" is a big load of baloney to put it mildly.

So contact the Pacific NorthWest French Bulldog Club - and they will be happy to point you in the right direction as to breeders who are breeding well adjusted, healthy to standard french bulldogs.

Good Luck

Shirley
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks a bunch Shirley, you don't know me or what my circumstances are but I guarantee you I am an excellent breeder, but I don't show. I DNA test , I follow the standards, my dogs/puppies are UTD on vaccinations, de-wormed, dewclaws are removed from puppies. I breed only once each year, have a running waiting list, require potential adoptive families to fill out and sign a puppy application, I have a contract to protect my puppies and buyers, any puppy leaving my home that is not being used in show or in an approved breeding program is spayed/neutered, I feed quality dog/puppy food. All of my dogs are registered with the exception of my sons Lab/rottie mix that is a rescue and spayed, I spare no expense where the dogs/puppies are concerned to keep them healthy. All my dogs/puppies live in my house and are only crated when we have to go to town for about 2 hours shopping. I do not trust anyone to handle my dogs/puppies and will not hire a pet sitter or handler. I would love to show but I prefer to invest my money (showing is very expensive) in the care of my dogs/puppies. I am extremely selective when placing my puppies. I could go on all day. Please tell me where you feel I am a bad breeder.
A former member
Post #: 4
Don't get me wrong Shirley, I understand your warning here as many people who don't show their dogs are just out to make a buck, just as many show people are rude and dishonest but I would never say do not buy from a person who shows their dogs they are all substandard. I am very honest and good to both my bogs and perspective adoptive families. I may choose to show at some point but just want to concentrate on having healthy happy dogs right now and I don't see that as making me a bad breeder. I have beautiful dogs and know they would do great in show, I simply choose to have them home with me and happy. Do you have a website? I am looking to add a couple nice Dams to my family and would like to buy from a good breeder.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm not quite sure I agree with having to show your dog. Dogs are companions, friends, children (from another mother, ha). We chose to ''adopt'' them into our own lives. It is not required, that if we buy expensive pure bread dogs, we NEED to show them. I'm not against showing your dog, but I also have no desire to show my little frenchie. He is easily trained to do anything and he could surely be a show dog but I choose to love him and take care of him the best I can and not show him off in a professional manor. He gets plenty of attention every time we leave my house. I have to factor in at least 20 extra minutes into our walks just to stop and talk to everyone who comes up and loves my little frenchie instantly. I've had a good half dozen people ask who my breeder was and my experience. He's so friendly to everyone and all other dogs. In my opinion, you should just do your homework with a breeder you are interested in, and then go with your gut. I am so happy with my experience and my frenchie, someone else was watching over me and helped me when I chose him to be apart of my family. I am thankful he is in my life! I can't imagine not having him and I will cherish every moment he is with me because unfortunately, dogs sometimes don't outlive their parents! My frenchie is healthy, happy, and loved! And I am excited for our future together!
A former member
Post #: 5
Erin got Poppi from me and seams totally happy with his quality wouldn't you say?
A former member
Post #: 492
Erin,
I think you may have mis interrpreted Shirley's post about showing. Wonderful people who buy puppies from show breeders as PETS do not need to show and shouldn't. That is why they are called "pets". Show/working breeders go above and beyond to continue the breed and to breed the best of the best. It's because of the dedication and careful eye of show/working breeders that we have purebred dogs.

And a few clarifications-AKC standard is a rough standard, it doesn't mean that because a dog is classified as a "purebred" via AKC that it really lives up to the standard as set forth by the breed club. AKC unfortunately has become all about money.

As for DNA testing-the only DNA test that I'm aware of for issues in the French Bulldog that can be identified through DNA testing is juvenile cataracts. AKC asks for DNA testing on stud dogs who have produced X-number of litters. But they DO NOT screen for disease. It's for progeny tracking. The most important testing is the OFA testing with x-rays on hips, spine, trachea, patellas, cardiac etc. And for those who ARE breeding and interested in DNA Testing for J.C. please get it done sooner than later. The technology is owned by a foreign scientist, the US patent is currently pending. While in pending state we can still get it easily tested for. However once the USPTO approves the patent for J.C. DNA test, we will need to have the test sent overseas, to the U.K. I believe and it will cost MUCH more.

Yes there are good breeders out there who are not showing, but they are involved in dogs in other ways besides breeding, depending on the breed. I have some friends who do not show, but raise dogs as hearing dogs and diabetes detection. And in the working breeds, you will find people who do not show in conformation, but are active in agility, field trials, luring etc.

And this post is NOT against anyone, it's the sharing of some clarifications/information that I too have learned along this journey of the purebred dog.

In defense of Shirley, she is well respected and connected within the national and international French Bulldog community. I like to think of breeders like Shirley the same as members of any other professional association or licensed guild. You just don't become a member, you have to prove yourself. Something to think about.

Ultimately the most important thing is that your puppy is healthy and loved.

Thank you for loving a French Bulldog.

A former member
Post #: 493
And another thing that I wanted to add, it's because of people breeding pet quality to pet quality and breeding solely to produce "pets" for a little extra cash or "fun", that we have overflowing shelters. They are the largest source of dogs in shelters these days.
Not show breeders and not even puppy mills.