addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Downtown Phoenix Meetup Message Board › DOWNTOWN PHOENIX MEETUP FAQ

DOWNTOWN PHOENIX MEETUP FAQ

A former member
Post #: 5
What's the Downtown Phoenix Meetup all about?
We're a group of folks who work hard at believing they live in a real city. We are tired of (and not interested in) driving to Scottsdale in search of a social life. We know that there are fabulous things going on downtown and we want to support the wonderful independent businesses that are springing up in our neighborhoods. We want to meet more urban-ish people who love doing urban-ish things. You can read more about the Downtown Phoenix Meetup on our About­ page.

Where are the Downtown Meetups?
Anywhere the Organizer feels like going at any given time. She does her best to comb both print and online sources for events and locations to meet up, but she would really love to hear your ideas. The only caveat is that the location should be in downtown Phoenix. The definition of 'downtown' is flexible enough to include Mama Java's to the east, Camus to the North, Casablanca to the West, and something on Jackson Street to the South. Email the Organizer directly with your ideas or post them to the Meetup Ideas discussion on the message board. The Organizer loves new ideas.

When are Downtown Meetups scheduled?
For the moment, as often as the Organizer is moved to schedule events. She is, after all, footing the bill for this Meetup. Speaking of which...

Does it cost anything?
Members do not pay a fee to join or attend an event. Members pay only the cost of attending events, such as cover charges, tickets, or for whatever food and drinks they consume. Currently, Meetup.com charges the Organizer $19 a month to run this thing. Someday, I may set up a voluntary contribution option, if I get really, really poor or this group gets too big. In the meantime, I won't refuse a beer or a cup of coffee now and again, if offered.

Who comes to the Downtown Meetups?
So far, absolutely fabulous people. Everyone the Organizer has met thus far has been social, fun, smart, able to pay their own bill, and not creepy. The group is relatively new, so we've been averaging 4 attendees, but we've learned more about the people who?ve attended in these small settings. We get a bunch of new members every week, so attendance is expected to grow. The only requirement for membership is that you are into all of the alternative art, varied music, sometimes strange events, and great food venues that are springing up around downtown Phoenix. Since we're a new group, about 90% of attendees are newcomers. First-timers won't feel awkward or alone!

Who doesn?t come to the Downtown Meetups?
People looking to sell things to other members. People looking to hit on other members. This is not the group for professional networking or for singles. We don't wear name tags. Single folks might meet someone special through the group, but since the group's focus is not about dating, if any member is ever made to feel uncomfortable they should contact the organizer. Ditto if someone tries to get you involved in a pyramid scheme.

Do you do Joint Meetups?
Well, maybe. The Downtown Phoenix Meetup is not a special interest group, as many Meetups are (political or women-only groups, for example). We are an all-inclusive social group that limits itself only geographically in order to eat, drink, and be merry at downtown business and events. We do not want to alienate any of our members by jointly holding meetups with special interest groups. Also, it's also all the Organizer can do to keep this going, let alone coordinate with yet another group of people who have a different set of objectives. That said, this group is made up of interesting, smart, and fun people who talk about a wide range of topics of their own choosing, including sensitive subjects such as politics, religion, and music. :-)

Do I have to RSVP if I?m going to attend?
Yup. Please. It's especially important to RSVP for dining or other events where advance reservations are required. Even if reservations are not required, I should give a business owner the heads-up if a lot of people have RSVPed. If you RSVP Maybe, please try to change your RSVP to Yes or No at least 12 hours prior to the event. If you RSVP Yes and change your mind or plans, PLEASE change your RSVP to NO. It is RUDE to RSVP Yes and not show up. And if it was an event that had a limit of people who could attend, someone might not have been able to attend because YOU took the last spot and didn't use it. If you RSVP Yes and don't show up or notify us 3 times, you WILL be removed from the group.

Do I need to RSVP if I'm NOT going to attend an event?
It would help the Organizer out a lot. You'll also stop getting so many emails about particular events that you are attending.

What happens if I RSVP and don?t show up?
It would be really kind of you to change your RSVP if you decide later that you cannot make an event. Since the group is so new, there have been instances where only the organizer and one other member have RSVPed "yes" for an event. When the other person doesn't show up, the organizer is left waiting on them and wandering around events alone when she could have made other plans. This really sucks for the Organizer. In other cases, we've made dinner reservations for eight and folks have canceled at the last minute or simply didn't show up. This sucks for the restaurant.

So, as much as the organizer hates to do this, no-shows will be mentally noted. The Organizer realizes stuff happens at the last minute. But, if you keep no-showing, this is not the place for you.

We really want to hang with polite people. It truly takes very little time to do the courteous thing and change your RSVP accordingly. Please help the Organizer out and stay in touch.

How/where to I meet up with everyone at an event?
If the event requires reservations, the reservation will be under the Organizer's name unless otherwise stated in the event details. Many of our events don't require reservations however. Please read the event details carefully for instructions on where to meet. It's also a good idea to check the event details on the day of the event to see if any changes have been made. Lastly, have a look at the pictures of the other attendees so you know who you're looking for. Please add a profile picture so we can find you too.

Can I bring a friend?
Like us, we assume you are here because you are looking for people to do stuff with. But, if you have a friend who also digs good music and art and food, bring them along. Just be sure to include them in your RSVP total.

How are cover charges or drink/dinner bills handled?
Everyone is responsible for paying their own cover charges, drink tabs, pre-purchasing tickets if necessary, etc., etc. So far, it's been easy to calculate dinner bills with groups of about four people. For larger parties, it may become necessary to establish a policy of dividing checks, but we'll cross that bridge if we ever get there.