This is a small private group dedicated to bringing together beginning and intermediate photographers wishing to develop a friendly network while learning, exploring and developing their photographic skills. I hope to organize an active, diverse and dynamic group exploring many of the different areas comprising todays world of digital photography. My first love is outdoor photography and I would like to share opportunities to photograph landscapes, wildlife, botanical, street, portrait, action, nightscapes, astrophotography... with others. If these areas seem limiting for you or you would like to delve deeper into any one of these areas I can point you to groups that may better serve your interests.
As a beginning photographer I was surprised at the limited scope of photography many groups offered. I found some groups only did model/portrait photography others only landscapes or flowers in the immediate area... It is my sincere hope that in this group new photographers will be able to experience a wide variety of photographic interests and challenges locally, regionally, and afar.
This group will help you explore and get the most from your camera. Fun Photography and Travel (FP&T) may open up new vistas for you to photograph but most importantly we will strive to help you network and develop lasting relationships with fellow new and mid level photogs that you can share long after you part from the group.
Our events will not be teaching events but sharing events, we will learn from each other. This will be a dynamic group; that is no one will stay long that just signs up and disappears over the next 3 months, the group is too small for that. If you can't come to actual meet ups then do the homework (weekly, monthly, spontaneous photographic challenges), post photos, encourage other photographers in the work they post; CAUTION this does not mean critique. If you like something online say so, if you know why you like it then say that also, but if you have comments about what is lacking in a photo or suggestions on how to make the photo better save that for private conversations with the photographer's permission or request for suggestions. Again if you do not agree with this approach I can direct you to groups that can offer you online critiquing.
The group is open to new and intermediate level photographers with any type of portable photographic equipment; however I will say those using portable digital equipment with changeable exposure settings will benefit most and ILCs will afford the best experiences with the group.
As stated in a previous communication I took over leadership of the group partly to fulfill an obligation I felt to the members I got to know and were members during 2018. I do not wish to be responsible for a large group so I will strive to keep membership at around 50 to 60 people. MeetUp.com informs me the group now has close to 130 members. So for now the groups membership may need to be reduced. I am hoping to meet capable, enthusiastic leaders to take over the group within the next 6 months and guide it to grow to its full potential and size. Until then being and staying a member in this group may require a little effort on the part of each individual member. I welcome the thought of those waiting to join Fun Photography starting their own new groups.
A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR ORGANIZER:
I am a retired hobbyist photographer and have been active in many MeetUp groups in the SOCAL area for the past 4 years. I am in photography strictly for enjoyment, relaxation and the challenge. I do not earn any income from teaching, leading photography groups or selling photographic adventures or equipment. I often venture locally to shoot; occasionally venturing regionally and on rare occasions I may venture nationally or internationally to photograph. Because I am retired some meet ups scheduled may be during the week but I will try to schedule those few meet ups to start before or after work hours.
I look forward to seeing new friends and old familiar faces in the group! So join us and have fun! or as Vicky used to say
A FEW RULES :
1. You must post a CURRENT large frontal headshot as your primary photo, so we can recognize you when we get together. No artsy cutesy logo emoji IDs... Do not let vanity cause you to post a photo of yourself from years ago (when you were 10 lbs lighter and 10 years younger...) We need to know what you look like now. This is for the safety of all members.
2. You must RSVP in advance to any and all meetups you wish to attend. Showing up at an event without being on the RSVP list will result in you being excluded from that event and may result in immediate dismissal from the group. THIS IS FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL MEMBERS INCLUDING ORGANIZERS. For safety sake it is important to know WHO TO EXPECT AT MEETUPS AND WHAT ATTENDEES LOOK LIKE. Please NO EXCEPTIONS.
3. The group will operate under a No-show/No-flake rule. Cancel/change your RSVP to NO at least 24 hours or more in advance (before a meetup) This will allow organizer(s) time to re-evaluate and possibly adjust meetup plans; timely cancelations also allow other members time to fill vacant spots especially in cases of a waitlist. 2 no shows or 3 cancelations with less than 24 hours notice may be cause for removal from the group.
4. You must be respectful of all members and organizers. Aggressive, abusive, obnoxious, or any otherwise disruptive behavior will not be tolerated in this group and may result in immediate dismissal from the group. Understand that being a member of this group and attending group events is a privilege not a right.
5. Each meetup organizer may have additional rules in place. It is your responsibility to read the event description and adhere to the organizers rules/guidelines.
6. In joining Fun Photography & Travel I represent that I am in good/sound physical and mental health capable of participating in whatever event I have chosen to attend or participate in with Fun Photography & Travel. I understand that group members and organizers involved in events I join are peers and do not represent themselves as experts or professionals responsible for my safety during group events. Participation in group events is a confirmation of understanding that each member is responsible for his or her own personal safety at all times (before, during, and after a scheduled events). Fun Photography & Travel is not responsible for members transportation safety to, during, or from any scheduled event activities including carpools set up between members.
THIS IS A PHOTOGRAPHY GROUP. We want everyone to feel safe, secure and respected with the expectation of meeting up to learn/practice photography. We reserve the right to remove members from the group, or exclude from an event, any member displaying negative, toxic, rude, vulgar, or any inappropriate behavior, or in any way that makes any one member or group of members feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
By joining, you are voluntarily agreeing to adhere to the above safety rules and guidelines for conduct put forth by this group.