addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Geocaching San Diego Message Board › EL Prado Benchmark (H 18)

EL Prado Benchmark (H 18)

Blakely S.
user 5607849
Encinitas, CA
Post #: 1
I have been researching and asking questions of others how to log in the benchmark I found that does not seem to be listed on the geocaching.com site. It is about a quarter mile west of the arch where El Prado enters the park. Near this arch is another benchmark called the highest tower in Balboa Park. The benchmark is at the intersection of Balboa and El Prado streets. On the south east corner of that intersection is the benchmark. It is waist high on the west most end of the bridge railing. Anyone know of this benchmark or know how to include it in the geocaching.com website database?
FlagMan
user 5713794
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
There are many different types of benchmarks, and only certain ones are logable on GC.com... Here's an explanation from the GC.com website:

I found a benchmark, but it isn't in the database. Why?
To answer this question, you need to understand a bit about what "the database" is. The database used by Geocaching.com is a copy (from around 2000) of the database that NGS maintains. Although the NGS database has lots of marks in it, it does not have them all. In order for a mark to get into NGS's database, it has to go through a process known as "bluebooking" which ensures the disk meets the minimum requirements to be of geodetic quality (aka the highest quality possible). The NGS is not the only organization that creates and uses benchmarks and other types of control markers. In order for any mark to get "in the database" they must be "bluebooked", which can take a lot of time and effort and is often not done to save money. Remember, even though some marks might not be in the database, they are still highly important, both to businesses and to individual citizens such as your neighbors, so please treat them with respect, while enjoying the thrill of the hunt. We'll try to find other databases and add them to the site as well. If you have access to one of these databases and would like to submit it to Groundspeak, contact us.

Since the Groundspeak benchmark database was obtained from the NGS in the year 2000, newer benchmarks and recent reports on older marks will not be visible here in Groundspeak's copy. Besides new disks, there are many cases of benchmarks monumented significantly before 2000 but entered the NGS database only after the year 2000.
The benchmark I found is not in the database, how can I log it?
If the benchmark is a disk-type marker or is referenced in an online database, you can log your find in the US Benchmarks category in Groundspeak's Waymarking site.

If the benchmark is in Canada, you can log it in the Canadian Benchmarks category in Waymarking.