addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Got.λ - Göteborg Functional Programming Group Message Board › Ideas for future meetups

Ideas for future meetups

Erik S.
user 38970502
Göteborg, SE
Post #: 1
Would be nice to discuss things we can do during the meetups in the future. Here are some ideas, please add more!

Overtone
A music library that seems very mature and fun to use. Since functional programming is a natural fit for signal processing I think it could be really good for learning a lot of basic Clojure concepts.

Artificial Intelligence
Lisps are historically known for being good for AI programming. Could be cool to try out in some way. Anything from language parsing or expert systems to pathfinding or a Chess ai.

Data processing
Many companies use Clojure for analysing big data sets. Maybe try to use some public government API to analyze something, perhaps?
Jean-Louis G.
jean-louis
Group Organizer
Göteborg, SE
Post #: 2
I love all those ideas!

I don't know what kind of format we should use though, if we should try to fit one project per meetup (like with Game of Life), or if we should spread them across several and tackle bigger problems (like Junebot).

I'll add also:

Noir
Do something online, like a blog or a TODO list or something like that. WebDev is also fun!

Fredrik W.
FredrikWendt
Göteborg, SE
Post #: 6
+1 for Noir
+1 for Data processing

I would like to do some traditional katas as well. Trying to solve the same problem in different environments helps me see some pros and cons,
Erik S.
user 38970502
Göteborg, SE
Post #: 2
Cool! One more potentially fun thing would be to look at core.logic which is a big mystery to me but it seems very powerful. Could be used for analyzing data if we decide to do something like that.
Mattias L.
user 14245497
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 1
I've read a little about core.logic aswell and it seems interesting. Noir aswell since I have no knowledge at all about how web frameworks works and how to use them.
Erik S.
user 38970502
Göteborg, SE
Post #: 3
I watched a really nice and basic introduction to core.logic today: core.logic.intro - Edmund Jackson