Location visible to members
Matheran is One of the best places to trek in India
Matheran is a small hill station in Raigad district of Maharashtra. Located on the Western Ghats range at an elevation of around 800 m (2,625 feet) above sea level. It is located around 90 km from Mumbai, and 120 km from Pune. It is one of the most ecologically sensitive hill stations in the country and no form of motoroised transport is allowed. The name Matheran means either "forest on top" or "mother forest".
Read more here: http://files.meetup.com/1166925/Trekking%20in%20Matheran.pdf
Moving around in Matheran
The only modes of transport, on the red soiled roads, are on horseback or by man-pulled rickshaw or on foot. It is one of the few places in the world where all motorised vehicles are banned which makes the place unique. That calls for trekking all the way.
18° 55' N, 73° 15' E
At an elevation of about 800m (2,625 ft) above Mean Sea Level.
5000 acres or eight sq miles
Matheran has cool and moderate climate. During monsoon rainfall is heavy and it provides a different charm. The climate after the rains is very pleasant.
Level with sparse undulations. The topmost layer of rock is of soft porous iron-clay with abundant small black boulders. The surface is covered by red soil with less humus.
Sunrise @ Matheran
Difficult Grade (approx 45-50 kms in 3 days)
Easy Grade (15-20 kms on Day 2)
Newcomers may find the trek difficult and are advised not to join the trek.
25th Sept (Thursday)
Leave by Train
26th Sept (Friday)
11 am: Reach Karjat
11:30 am: Local transport to Ambewadi village
12 noon: proceed to Matheran enroute Lunch.
6:30 pm: Reach Matheran and check into Girivihar hotel
8 pm: Dinner, Chat up and Sleep
4:30 am: Wake Up Call
5 am: Start Trek to Sunrise point (7 km uphill & 7 km downhill)
9 am: Get back to Girivihar, freshen up and have breakfast
10 am: Trek to Alexander Point, Chowk Point, Charlotte Lake. (Total trek 7-8 kms)
2 pm Back to Girivihar, Lunch and get some rest
4 pm: Trek to Echo Point then to Market, Shopping etc (Your will get the best of jams, fudges, chikkis in the market)
8 pm: Reach Girivihar, Dinner, Camp fire
10 pm: Sleep
28th Sep (Sunday)
5 am: Wake Up Call
6 am: Break fast
7 am: Trek to Garbut Point
12:30 pm: Reach Bhivpuri station and catch local train to Karjat
1:30 pm: Reach Karjat
2 pm: Start back to Hyderabad
29th Sep (Monday)
Before 7 am: Reach Lingampally / Begumpet / Nampally Station.
Things to Bring
Take only what is essential as your bag will have to be carried up from Ambewadi village to Matheran by porters.
1. Three sets of T Shirts / Track suits (nylon will be better) / Windcheaters.
2. A towel
3. Rain Coat and Umbrella (which can be folded and fit into your bag).
4. Canvas shoes with rubber soles (You will get them in Lal Bazar).
5. A pair of slippers.
6. A torch.
7. Soaps and other toiletries as required.
8. Any medicines that you may require.
9. A small sling bag with water, juice, a hand towel, cap and some snacks. This bag will be the one you will carry when you trek from Ambewadi to Matheran.
10. Cell phone chargers (even though cell phone don't work in a better part of Matheran.
11. Two plastic bags to carry your fresh / used clothes and prevent it from getting wet. A plastic bag to cover your bag (It will be raining most of the time).
Amount payable: Rs.3800/- (Includes travel, accommodation and food. Be prepared to spend Rs 500 more.)
Important Instructions: RSVP Responsibly. No Refunds.
If you drop out, we will thank you for donating the money to the club.
All GHAC rules apply ( http://meetup.ghac.in ...)
1) No smoking and no alcohol
2) No littering, no pollution of water
3) Ladies and gents accommodation is separate
4) We carry Basic First Aid and if you need anything you can ask the organizers. 5) If you feel unwell bring to the notice of the organizers immediately.
Account type: Savings
Great Hyderabad Adventure Club
IFSC Code: UTIB0001379
Road no:2, Banjara hills Branch
Please mention UTR number in comments while transferring amount.Cash deposits are not allowed.
Transaction remark :173723672_Yourname (173723672_Manohar). 173723672 is the meetup id which you can see in the weblink above. If you do not provide the meetup id in transaction remark, its difficult to track your payment.
You can also pay through credit card:
1) Read the Complete page before doing RSVP
2) Your RSVP will not be considered if you do not provide answers to all the questions
3) This a monsoon Trek...You might get wet during the hike
4) Organizer's word is final.
The hosts reserve all the rights to add or remove any member and do necessary change in route/activity, time duration depending on the situation and climate during the trek.
You can go through previous Matheran meetup pictures here:
For any queries :
Akhila Ph: 9642231315 (Preferably SMS)
Come along, let us trek to Matheran.
Bring food to make more friends :)