After we drive from 11th St and P St, we will gather near the restrooms in the grass picnic area of Stinson Beach. From there we will hike about 1/4 mile up the side street, cross Hwy 1, to where the Dipsea trail begins and continue about 1.5 miles. At the fork we will turn left and follow the Steep Ravine trail to the Pantoll Ranger Station where there are real restrooms and take a short break. The trail along Steep Ravine is uphill, follows Webb Creek, and is heavily shaded with dense forest. There are numerous places to stop and take spectacular photographs. From the ranger station we will take the Matt Davis trail to an open area, with shade trees, overlooking San Francisco and break for lunch. After a quick lunch we will descend the Matt Davis trail back to Stinson Beach. Those who wish, can swim or hang out on the beach. There is a burger stand with the creamiest soft serve ice cream around and several restaurants in the area.
Driving directions to Stinson Beach:
11th St & P St. Sacramento, CA 95814
1. Head west on P St
2. Keep left of the fork and follow the signs to I-80 W/San Francisco 0.5 mi
3. Merge onto I-80 W 48.2 mi
4. Exit onto CA-37 W toward Novato/San Rafael 21.5 mi
5. Take the US-101 S ramp to San Rafael/San Francisco 0.5 mi
6. Turn right onto Hwy 101 S/US-101 S 14.4 mi
7. Take exit 455B toward Stinson Beach 0.2 mi
8. Merge onto CA-1 S 0.1 mi
9. Turn left onto CA-1 N 0.5 mi
10. Turn left to stay on CA-1 N 11.6 mi
11. Turn left 315 ft Stinson Beach Parking Lot
Driving time to the trail head is about 2 hours.
Suggested amount to pay your carpool driver is $16.00 each