We meet at 11 & P at 7:45 and leave at 8 am. Weather forecast is 47/62 with 74% humidity (no rain). But it is getting cooler so dress in layers. We've had so much rain so expect a lot of water at the falls (by the ladder) and perhaps mud on your boots. But, why not? We can enjoy the blooming flowers and sprouting ferns.
We will park at Stinson beach and hike up starting at Steep Ravine and have lunch at the Pantol Station Parking then hike down the easy Matt Davis Trail where we face the ocean and have a panoramic view.
This is an all time favourite hike amongst many. Who can resist the trail winds of dull woodlands (only about a mile) that leads to panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and the enigmatic city of San Francisco, the descend to the resort towns of Stinson Beach and the somewhat sheer climb to Steep Ravine all in one hike? Enjoy the chaparral covered hills, the old growth redwoods, the velvety moss concealing the trees and ultimately leading to the beach where we feel the placid ocean breeze onto our face and body.
It is a 7.3 mile loop of moderate ascend, about 1600 feet in elevation change. Duration is 4 to 5 hours. For more info about the trail, visit here. http://www.nrdc.org/greengate/outside/adv3.asp
NO DOGS ALLOWED AT THE PARK.
We meet at the Stinson beach parking lot, hike up to Stinson beach and have lunch at Pantoll parking lot. After lunch we will hike back down the easy trail of Matt Davis. Let’s hear the thundering waves, crashing surf and dance away into the swing of the twirling wind with the sun splashing its rays onto our face or just simply kick the sand under our feet. Then head back through the easy Matt Davis trail.
Therefore carpool is strongly encouraged. Pool with a hiker of the same ability and schedule. Pay your driver $3.50 per hour or whatever the price of gas per gallon. For courtesy to your driver, please bring cash. Do not ask your driver to take you to an ATM, pay via paypal or phone transactions.
We will arrange carpool at 11&P.
Checklist for packing: Water, hat, sunscreen, lunch, smile and positive attitude.
Directions to the park: (99 miles, one hour 58 minutes)
1. Head west on P St toward 11th St 0.7 mi
2. Keep left at the fork to continue toward CA-99 S 0.2 mi
3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-80/US-50/CA-99/San Francisco/Fresno and merge onto CA-99 S 0.2 mi
4. Take the exit toward I-80 W/San Francisco 0.5 mi
5. Merge onto I-80 BUS W 0.5 mi
6. Merge onto I-80 W 3.1 mi
7. Take exit 33B to merge onto CA-37 W toward Novato/San Rafael 48.2 mi
8. Slight left to stay on CA-37 W 18.7 mi
9. Merge onto US-101 S via the ramp to San Rafael/San Francisco 18.7 mi
10. Take exit 445B for CA-1 N toward Stinson Beach 2.8 mi
11. Merge onto US[masked] mi
12. Turn left onto CA-1 N 0.2 mi
13. Take the 2nd left to stay on CA-1 N 0.1 mi
14. Turn left to stay on CA-1 N 0.5 mi
15. Slight right onto Panoramic Hwy 1.2 mi
16. Slight left to stay on Panoramic Hwy 1.4 mi