addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Windy City Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › Indiana National Lakeshore Dunes

Indiana National Lakeshore Dunes

A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Everyone,

I know I just joined and haven't been to an outing yet and plan to first attend some in Chicago and the 'burbs, but I was wondering if anyone is interested in hiking the Dunes sometime since I see the Kettle Moraine and Rock Cut have been outings, so some people are obviously interested in traveling a couple hours for an event.

I live in Northwest IN in Highland, which is 30 minutes southeast of downtown Chicago, and once I get to know people, you can park at my place and I can drive the rest of the way (it's about a 45 minute drive east of Highland).

Thanks,

Connie :)
A former member
Post #: 4
I've been hiking the Dunes since I was old enough to walk! :) They are a great place, and now with the Visitor Information Center located just outside Chesterton, it's easier than ever to navigate the miles of trails. Most recently, I did the Cowles Bog trail, back in early November.

I'd definitely be up for a hiking event at the Dunes.
Linda L
user 3912926
La Grange Park, IL
Post #: 3
Connie- Rick's group is hiking there next Sat. http://www.meetup.com...­

Linda
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Tim,

Great, another Dunes fan! I used to train on the trails for ultramarathons and Cowles Bog was a favorite; mildly to moderately technical and mystical, especially at sunrise. Chellburg Farms is another fav. What's so great about the Dunes as you know is that the trails vary from beginner to advanced, so there's something for everyone.

Hope to see you out there in the future. :)

I've been hiking the Dunes since I was old enough to walk! :) They are a great place, and now with the Visitor Information Center located just outside Chesterton, it's easier than ever to navigate the miles of trails. Most recently, I did the Cowles Bog trail, back in early November.

I'd definitely be up for a hiking event at the Dunes.

A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks Linda!

Connie- Rick's group is hiking there next Sat. http://www.meetup.com...­

Linda

robert
robertthehoosier
Chicago, IL
Post #: 19
Hi. I'm Robert. I hike infrequently with this group since most of their outings are on Saturdays and I normally work Saturdays. Anyhow, I live in Valparaiso and am only 14 miles from the Dunes. Myself and a friend hiked there two days ago in the snow and wind. Great fun. We parked at the Wilson Shelter and picked up trail #2 hiking east until #2 turned north which we followed over the boardwalk. We then picked up trail #10 for a few hundred feet and then picked up a short connector trail which led us to trail #9, probably the best trail in the park; and then #9 took us to a high dune and then we followed #9 as it ran parrallel to the lake and then looped back around to pick up #10 again right near trail #2 and took #10 back to the parking lot at the Wilson Shelter. So, as you can see, I know the park quite well. If you or anyone else is up for a Sunday hike at the Dunes, keep me posted. I also hike Tippecanoe River State park from time to time.
A former member
Post #: 7
Cool! Another Hoosier! :)

I'd be up for a Sunday hike, but still a wuss and out of shape and must wait 'til the weather gets a *teensy* bit warmer, so hope you find some some others to go with now, Robert. Would also love to try Tippecanoe; never been.

Connie :)
Hi. I'm Robert. I hike infrequently with this group since most of their outings are on Saturdays and I normally work Saturdays. Anyhow, I live in Valparaiso and am only 14 miles from the Dunes. Myself and a friend hiked there two days ago in the snow and wind. Great fun. We parked at the Wilson Shelter and picked up trail #2 hiking east until #2 turned north which we followed over the boardwalk. We then picked up trail #10 for a few hundred feet and then picked up a short connector trail which led us to trail #9, probably the best trail in the park; and then #9 took us to a high dune and then we followed #9 as it ran parrallel to the lake and then looped back around to pick up #10 again right near trail #2 and took #10 back to the parking lot at the Wilson Shelter. So, as you can see, I know the park quite well. If you or anyone else is up for a Sunday hike at the Dunes, keep me posted. I also hike Tippecanoe River State park from time to time.

John
user 4231304
Hammond, IN
Post #: 302
I just noticed this thread but would be interested in another one of these. I did some on my own over the winter.
A former member
Post #: 2
My dog and I would be interested in this hike as well! :)
Lois
user 8589165
Berkley, MI
Post #: 2
I am interested as well. I have only heard about Indiana Dunes and it has all been good!