In 1999 I was one of an estimated 40 million people that watched Brandi Chastain put her penalty kick past China's goalkeeper Gao Hong. Chastain followed it with a bold move, one that has become part of sports history. She knelt in victory, her muscles pumped, arms raised, fists clenched and with her head back roared like a lion. It was an act that came from deep within. It was an act that cannot be faked. It was the act of a champion. It was a coming of age moment for the Women's Game that marked the day that the American women won their second World Cup. I have been a fan of the Women's Game ever since.
Today Women's soccer is played at the highest level of athletic achievement worldwide. It is just a fact. A few times a year I like to associate a hike with a match. Last trip was to Colorado for hike up Pikes Peak and 2 USL W-League matchs. Closer to home this Sunday the UNM Lobo Women's soccer team will take on Michigan State. College games are very competitive. UNM has played the best, like the UNC Tarheels If you want to see a fast paced, exciting soccer match, this is your hike.
Hike In A Nutshell:
• Assemble near the Starbucks at 8201 Golf Course Road
Albuquerque, NM located in the shopping center on south side of Paseo del Norte and west side of Golf Course. I will part at the farthest end of the row in front of Starbucks near the Bank.
• Leave for UNM at 11 AM, this will give us time get to UNM, park, get tickets, get snacks and find a seat in the stadium. Kickoff is at 12 noon.
• Tickets are $5.00 and the carpools can split the parking costs.
• NOTE: If there are enough people on the east side of the city that want to go we can have an east side meeting place. It will have to be self organizing but it can done. I'll be gone for the day tomorrow hiking up the Sandia Scar but will be home by 5 anyway. It will be tight to organize but we can do it.
• Hike from the car to the pitch, watch the match, and hike back to the cars. We could go out to eat if anyone is interested.