addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Indianapolis Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Indianapolis Adventure Races - anyone want to train for a sprint race?

Indianapolis Adventure Races - anyone want to train for a sprint race?

A former member
Post #: 132
Hi Everyone!

I'm planning to try my first two adventure races this summer with a couple of friends, but they aren't local so I'm looking for some training partners. Both races are shorter "sprint" courses and are being held in Indiana, with one being an urban sprint right here in Indianapolis. The races are put on by Planet Adventure and registration for the 2008 races should be opening any day now. Teams are 2- or 3-person and can be co-ed or single gender with person entry fees in the neighborhood of $65-85 depending on the particular race and how far in advance you register.

For 2007, the mileage for the Planet Adventure Sprint (held at Starve Recreation Area) was:

Regular Course
Trekking & Orienteering - 5 to 6 Miles
Biking - 16 to 19 Miles
Paddling - 2 to 3 Miles

Short/Beginner Course
Trekking & Orienteering - 4 to 5 miles
Biking - 13 to 16 Miles
Paddling 2 to 3 Miles

I am a TOTAL beginner and I have to take it easy during the trekking part due to a trick ankle. I've already recruited understanding team mates for at least one race who promise they'll be happy if we just finish. I haven't had my bike out of the garage since I moved here a few years ago, so I definitely need some major biking trail training and I'm going to be trying to make a lot more of the OE & Hiking group events so I can get in better condition for trekking hilly terrain.

Feel free to post here or e-mail me if you're interested in doing some training or if you're interested in doing one of these events but are in need of team mates (just be sure to let everyone know your level of conditioning and competitiveness so you can find a good match!).

Lori

PS. The 2008 sprint race dates are June 7 and August 16.
A former member
Post #: 2
I too, have been interested in trying out the adventure races. Maybe we could get a group of people that would also be interested in doing these races. Anyone interested? I would be a beginner at these races.
A former member
Post #: 155
As the weather gets warmer, I'm hoping to be doing some training on Saturday and on Sundays, whether it's hiking or biking - I need both or I'll never finish this thing I've gotten myself into.

If anyone needs additional compass training, you could attend the Indiana Crossroads Orienteering meet in March or there's a class being offered through IUPUI's continuing learning program too. (I'm taking the class :-)
A former member
Post #: 158
I spoke with my work colleague who has done many of these events. He suggested mostly regular hiking and mountain biking for your training (as you might expect). He also suggested that you might want to work on increasing your speed and/or wearing a weighted backpack to simulate carrying required equipment & water. He said that being good at compass navigation is just as important, if not more important, than being particularly physically fit because it doesn't matter how fast you're going if you're doing it in the wrong direction!
A former member
Post #: 4
Since the local adventure races are getting closer would anyone be interested in getting a team organized to compete.

The upcoming races:

Indianapolis Adventure Race September 6, 2008
The 9th annual Indianapolis Adventure Race is a team event that combines road mountain biking, canoeing, trail running/hiking, orienteering/navigation, rope work and surprise mystery events. Teams consist of three: coed, all male and female. All team members must start and finish together, covering the entire course together. The actual distances, course layout and order of events will not be disclosed until race day.

The Planet Adventure Urban Sprint Race August 16, 2008

The Planet Adventure Urban Sprint is a 4-6 hours, team-oriented event through the streets, alleys waterways, and outlying areas of Indianapolis.
Teams consist of 3 individuals who will face a true urban adventure as they run, bike and paddle throughout the city of Indianapolis. Teams must start and finish together, covering the entire course as a team, while using a map and compass to navigate.
This course has been designed to challenge the best athletes while at the same time providing racers of every skill level with a reasonable chance at completing the course. To that end, we will be providing shortened course segments for racers not reaching specific time cut-offs and requirements

Broadly speaking the disciplines are:

Running/trekking
Road Mountain biking
Rope assisted (or protected) pursuits
Canoeing and other wet activities
Orienteering/navigation
Other disciplines
A former member
Post #: 239
If you put together a team to practice, I would be interested in joining you for the practice activities. I am doing as many orienteering events as possible this year (as I just learned to do compass navigation in February). I've heard that the compass navigation is the most important factor in how successful you are at doing these races.

Later this month, I'm doing a mountain biking clinic down in Brown County. I've had a mountain bike for years, but the most "off-road" it's ever been is on a very wide, well-groomed, non-paved path. I thought it would improve my confidence to learn some technical skills and get in some longer off-road practices (down in Brown County) yet this year before I do my first sprint race. (The decision to practice the biking before doing the first race was made after I initially sucked at using my compass. Now I'm getting better with the compass and am starting to do intermediate and advanced O-courses.)

I'm a total beginner at all of this. I've started participating in these activities as a way to encourage myself to get healthier. When I hear about people working toward a goal like doing a marathon, I think, "Ew, how boring!" but this sounds like a lot of fun to me. If anyone else out there thinks this sounds like fun, but you're worried about being a beginner (or about not being able to "run" -- I have a bad ankle that absolutely prevents me from running, but it's OK for walking even at a fairly fast pace), don't fret. E-mail me and we can do a "beginner" team instead.

For me, Sunday afternoons, Saturday mornings or weekday evenings from 7-8PM are best for practicing. I could potentially shift my work schedule so that I could be available as early as 5 or 6 in the evenings, but I have to check with my supervisor.