Mark Melancon and I are organizing a hiking/camping weekend for Friday Feb. 21-> Sunday, Feb 23, 2014.
We'll post this meetup as 3 different events:
• Event 1 (another event): Camping on Friday and/or Saturday night. By signing up for this event, you are saying "I'M CAMPING!" Also sign up for the hikes you plan to attend.
• Event 2: (another event) Tejas to either Russell Park or Cedar Breaks Park. Hike the NORTH side of the lake. Feb 22 @ 8am. We'll meet at Tejas Campground. Transfer some cars to Russell. Transfer some cars to Cedar Breaks. Get everyone back to Tejas and hike from Tejas to Russell. Stop for a quick lunch, refill water, bio etc. Hikers who want to stop at Russell will get rides back to Tejas. The remainder will continue to Cedar Breaks. By signing up for this event, you are saying "I'm going on Saturday's hike." Distance for Russell Park is approx. 6 miles. Cedar Breaks is approx. 15 miles *if you sign up, put in the comments which hike you're thinking of doing. you can always change your mind!*
• Event 3: (this event) A shuttle day hike from Cedar Breaks Park to Tejas Campground. Hike the SOUTH side of the lake. Feb 23 @ 8am. We'll meet at Tejas and take 1/2 the cars to Cedar Breaks. By signing up for this event, you are saying "I'm going on Sunday's hike." Distance is approximately 11 miles.
About the Sunday hiking event (event #3):
• Meet at Tejas Camp. We'll take 1/2 the cars and carpool to Cedar Breaks park. (there may be a day fee. The last time I went, they didn't charge.)
• Hike from Cedar Breaks heading on the SOUTH side of the lake back to Tejas Campground. THIS IS APPROX. an 11 mile hike!
• When done, drive hikers who drove to Cedar Breaks to get their cars.
• We will hold a "no hiker left behind" policy. We might split into two groups.
WHAT TO BRING:
• Yourself! :)
• Water. There is NO WATER between Cedar Breaks and Tejas on the south side. (unless you have a filtration system)
• A printed map (see link below)
• Snacks and (maybe) lunch. We won't be purposely stopping for lunch.
• First aid items. Steve will have a mini first aid kit. don't rely on it. A few bandaids. Off!, Sunscreen
• Dress for hiking and the weather. Remember, if you don't like the weather, it will change!
• Since we usually hike about 2.5 mi an hour, I think this will take 4-5 hours. That's a long trip! I'd like to be back in my car by 2pm.
• Cell phone.
MAN'S BEST FRIEND: Apparently dogs *ARE* allowed. Must be on leash. (Park rules. sorry! I personally hate strict on leash rules. Hopefully not as strict as state parks) Don't forget water and snacks for your dog.
TRAIL MAP: http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/georgetown/images/gtwn%20images/images/HikingTrailCDW.pdf (http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/georgetown/images/gtwn%20images/images/HikingTrailCDW.pdf)
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):[masked], [masked]°41'45"N, 97°49'38"W
From I-35, take Williams Drive west, then turn south on Farm to Market Rd 3405. Turn east on County Rd 258 and continue across the North San Gabriel River. Turn left into Tejas Park.
Looks like you can take Parmer Lane north. turns into Ronald Reagan Pkwy. Turn right on County Road 258 into Tejas Park.