addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

B.A.R.T. _012X_2010 Mt Dana (Yosemite) ~6.25mi/3200ft

Be prepared to pay a National Park entrance fee of $20 or more I think?

Weather around trailhead: http://forecast.weath...
and around Mt. Dana: http://forecast.weath...

If it looks like thunder we cancel and go down to Yosemite Valley for a hike.

This is the second of two substitute hikes for the Ridge Trail gap between Alum Rock Park and Joseph D. Grant County Park. With this substitute hike I decided to do something very different and go outside of the bay area for the substitute. Why not? Unfortunately Toulomne Meadows campground is already closed. People can come for a day hike on Saturday morning but I recommend staying somewhere up high the night before to adjust to some of the elevation. I will be leaving Friday and will be staying at the Yosemite Bug. Not much of elevation but its closer to the hike the following day. People are on their own for accommodations or decision to come the same day of the hike. Below is the weppages of the places people are styaing in so far
For the Yosemite bug last time we contacted them, they had plenty of space (20+) mixed dorm, cabin, etc. You may want to call them fro the reservation because I don't know if there web-based reservation shows everything available.

My phone in case you get lost and if I have reception:[masked]
For some info on the park we hike on see the link below and look for Toulomne or Mt Dana info:
And for pictures see:

The Hike: The hike is short but of high elevation and high elevation gain. Although its only ~6.5 miles it will feel like one of our 12+ mile BART hikes. For a details on the hike I plan to do see:

Parking & Meeting Point: Park at the trail head just off 120. See the google map to help with directions and time to get there. Ask people or rangers where the trail head is and that is where I should be by 11AM on Saturday. Parking is either the small lot across from the entrance building or along the road, outside the park. (Lat:37.91 Lon:[masked])

Optional After Hike Event: Kelley Brothers Brewing Company?

Join or login to comment.

  • MichaelS

    Although we didn't make the summit of Mt Dana, the amazing lightning and drama which the storm clouds provided were probably worth the sacrifice. I can't recall ever seeing such variety of rocks either, and since they were wet the colors showed very well. It was a wise call to head back down early when the weather really started to close in; lightning chased us down the mountain!

    October 4, 2010

  • Heidi

    The path was easy at the beginning, through the trees along two beautiful lakes. As we reached the treeline, we began to hike through open, rocky terrain. It was quite a challenge to pick the best route through massive rocks and the steep climb and high altitude really slowed us down. When the mountain disappeared into the clouds, the thunder got louder and it started to hail, we turned around about 300 ft below the summit. Gone were our plans of a lunch with a view over Mono Lake, but not forgotten! I would definitely like to try the ascent again. As much trouble as the big rocks gave us for hiking, they are beautiful and helped Hugo explain the geology of the area on the way down, when we all had enough breath to talk again.

    October 3, 2010

  • JP

    We enjoyed the changing weather's spectacular sky show, which created spotlights on the majestic mountain ranges and beautiful meadows. I even enjoyed the sound of sleet bouncing off my hood, and the rain; the thunderclaps, however, were beyond that.

    October 3, 2010

  • VW

    strenous hike but terrain was easier than expected. We would have gone for the summit if weather was more stable and we had more time for acclimatisation.

    October 3, 2010

  • A former member
    A former member

    We were ~300ft from the peak but hail, lightning, & cold made it difficult and dangerous to proceed. We will have to return another time and conquer it under better conditions.

    October 3, 2010

  • al9000

    CA 120 east through Yosemite National Park to the top of Tioga Pass where your exiting the Yosemite Park/Tioga Pass entrance+ranger station...trailhead is on the left side of it and parking spaces are on the right hand side by the bathrooms and just past the entrance+ranger station.

    September 29, 2010

6 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy