Practical Data Governance for Generative AI
Join DAMA Houston for a high-impact panel discussion featuring thought leaders to discuss data governance best practices in the context of Generative AI (Gen AI).
While organizations recognize the exponential value that Gen AI can deliver, many are not confident with their data governance maturity to provide a sense of trust, safety, and reliability. In this DAMA event, we invite you to engage in an open dialogue with a panel of industry thought leaders, practitioners, and educators. We will focus on real-world examples and practical applications of data governance disciplines to address the most common challenges in leveraging Gen AI.
Key thematic questions:
- What are the top challenges organizations face regarding data readiness for Gen AI?
- Which data management capabilities should be prioritized?
- How can organizations accelerate their data literacy and skills development?
- What can we learn from emerging regulations and legal cases about Gen AI?
Our Panelists and Moderators:
- Sushma Bhan is a Non-Executive Director at Ikon Science and an SPE Technical Director for Data Science & Engineering Analytics. She leads a global advisory for the energy sector data sciences and guides companies on growth opportunities and product oversight. Previously, Bhan was Chief Data Officer for Subsurface and Wells at Shell. She was recognized as Hart Energy’s 2024 Influential women in Oil & Gas and received SPE awards for her contributions to the petroleum industry. An active mentor to professionals and students, she holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Delhi and an executive MBA from the University of Houston.
- Bala Vaithyalingam leads Worldwide Solution Engineering from IBM Technology Expert Labs. He drives Data & AI strategy and Digital Transformation for many state and federal agencies and Private organizations in North America and worldwide. Bala received many awards at IBM, including the patent invention achievement award. He holds an MBA from Purdue University and was awarded three University gold medals for his outstanding achievements in a Bachelor of Technology from Anna University, India.
- Robyn Fuentes is a VP of Consulting at Improving and specializes in helping companies build and implement technology solutions in various industries, including Energy, Transportation, Health Care, e-commerce, Accounting, Mortgage, and more. In addition to her role at Improving, Robyn leads impact initiatives, personally coaches people, and speaks publicly to help others find a path to their goals in leadership.
- Erika Vela is an attorney at BakerHostetler LLP where she represents global business clients in technology, software, and data privacy. With a solid foundation in general and corporate matters, she also advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, and licensing. Erika is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and has represented clients in both languages in the U.S. and abroad.
- David Hendrawirawan is an adjunct faculty member at the University of Texas and an independent board member at Heat Transfer Research Inc. He speaks at industry events and teaches graduate courses in data governance, cybersecurity law, and privacy engineering. Previously at Deloitte and Dell, David led cross-functional teams to provide data analytics strategy, governance, cybersecurity, privacy, and regulatory compliance.
Event is open to public. Refreshments will be served.
For map of the campus, building and parking info click here